Peak District. Dark Peaks CC ride anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
The couple of times I have done it I have found the descent from the top of the Snake really unsatisfying. After the initial drop the road just seems to meander up and down so you don't get the massive long, uninterrupted, descent that you get, for example from the Isle of Skye or the adrenaline rush you get from descending Holme Moss.

I'll keep an eye out on this thread to see what you all decide, but probably won't opt in. Due to a combination of snow, ice, colds, mountaineering weekends and various kids illnesses - including a fortnight in hospital for my youngest - I have only been on bike twice since the Holme Moss loop - and I was not remotely bike fit then! I think I would be a bit of a liability.

Also I am off to the Lakes and Scotland the next few weekends so might not be free.

Strines Moor is a pig, although I have always been quite tired when I got there, so maybe I have an exagerrated view of how steep it gets?

bonj2

strines moor has got one which is apparently 1 in 4, and a few 1 in 5s (the one in 4 has its top at the north end)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
_Ben_ said:
strines moor has got one which is apparently 1 in 4, and a few 1 in 5s (the one in 4 has its top at the north end)
It certainly has! The first time that I tried it was cycling back from a holiday in Hathersage. I got halfway up the last steep bit and was forced to dismount. I then found that I couldn't even walk up in Look shoes so I had to do it in stockinged feet. much to the amusement of a carload of children which passed me as I struggled up the bugger. :evil:

I went that way again in 2007 on my way back from Coventry to Hebden Bridge. I had moderately-loaded panniers on my bike and there was a headwind but I managed to get up it that time. :smile:

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I wasn't actually thinking of going to Glossop, so no worries there. Strines is steep but it has less of a knackering pre-climb for me to get to as a meeting point than other places so I have no objections. Langsett to Tideswell through Eyam, Hathersage and Bradfield is about 55 miles although a hilly lot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll see how my shoulder is going - it's not up to more than 90 mins at the moment - I hope to push to nearer two hours this weekend (having not ridden due to being off for half term). I like Strines run - it's hard.... coming back towards Langsett has that nasty 1 in 4 that drags on.....think I've only done it once that way....I usually go from Woodhead/Langsett to Ladybower.

I'm watching this thread and interested, but it just depends which weekend.
I guess it'll be March now, Feb's practically gone !

I'm doing Fred Whitton so I think I need to get some more miles in the bank...

I'm cycling to Llandudno next weekend, doing the Leek CC 'credit crunch' mini-sportive (looks suspiciously like a rebadged reliability to me...) on 15th and Cheshire Cat the last weekend in March.

But other than that, anytime !;)

Will1985

Über Member
Oooh nice idea! I could be up for that. I can't drive to the Peaks until mid March, but a night ride might make it easier to use the trains. I'll keep an eye out.

a_n_t said:
you didn't seem to have too much trouble up holme moss on the last ride :biggrin:

76kg then, 83kg now :biggrin:.
I might get a carbon fibre bottle cage to help keep the weight down!

a_n_t

cheadle hulme said:
76kg then, 83kg now :biggrin:.
I might get a carbon fibre bottle cage to help keep the weight down!

:biggrin: Porker!

Think I've shed a few pounds AND got a couple of new carbon cages on the good bike..............................pity my knee is dodgy :biggrin:

Christopher

Über Member
hi
What a buch of fatties we all are!
Anyway I can make the two mid March w/ends: 14/15th, 21/22 but no others that month. Quite willing to travel to Sheffield to start there....

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

I have to be in Leeds on Sat 7th and Sat 14th in the morning. I can do an afternoon variant on both days. I can do any other day of any of the weekends between now and the end of March.

Night ride, Will1985? What counts as a night ride?

Argh I could have set up a poll. Didn't think I'd get enough responses for that. Can mods even add the ability of a poll once a thread's been started (I think not but not sure)?

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

This is just bumped to point out that I've set up a poll in the thread next door to decide on a date for the Dark Peak ride. I had to set up a new thread to get the poll unfortunately. When I've had a think about The Strines a bit more I'll put one up for that too although that one takes less organisation I think.

Top Bottom