pecific I can live with,...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeh, bu', is, like, y'know, evilooshun innit..?

'cos we don' say fings like, innit, like, sorta' "Forsooth" , an'all tha' no more do we....?

'yjus' gotta pu'up wiv it like, y'na'a'mean?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
wha'ever

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I was listening to the New Zealand women's cricket captain being interviewed the other day and she prefaced every answer with, "Look,....bla, bla bla."

It became very irritating!

KristyA

I can't live with pecific! Whenever I hear anyone say that give them an evil look, poke them in the eye for being stupid, then correct them. Actions speak louder than words I always think....

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
One thing, amongst many that annoy me is the pronouciation of a H as Hhhhaitch instead of Aitch. A small thing, but it really gets to me.;)

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I'm sure Ive mentioned this before, but it puzzles me when people from this area, especially Hull (Kingston Upon) say things like, "I were walking down the street" and just as odd when they say, "was you in town yesterday".

I don't know the grammatical rules why, but it just sounds wrong.

FWIW I think it should be, "I was walking down the street" and "were you in town yesterday"

Any English teachers out there like to settle a LONG runing debate point in my office?

ComedyPilot said:
FWIW I think it should be, "I was walking down the street" and "were you in town yesterday"

Any English teachers out there like to settle a LONG runing debate point in my office?

IIRC 'thy' used to be the singular form of 'you', but it is now archaic.

I agree with you.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
ComedyPilot said:
I'm sure Ive mentioned this before, but it puzzles me when people from this area, especially Hull (Kingston Upon) say things like, "I were walking down the street" and just as odd when they say, "was you in town yesterday".

I don't know the grammatical rules why, but it just sounds wrong.

I'm not an English teacher but 'were' is often the subjunctive mood (i.e. not a definite event, something that is possible). It's mostly disappeared from spoken English and often from written English too. I'm currently proof-reading a new translation of the New Testament and the very erudite translator has missed out a lot of subjunctives and used 'was' where it should be 'were'. So everyone does it!

In your example above, the 'were' isn't subjunctive but is the usual form of the verb, just swapped round:

I was
He was
You were
They were

They've just swapped round the verb forms from the 1st person singular (I) and 3rd person singular (he) to the 2nd person singular (you) and 3rd person plural (they).

As a side note, he's also struggling with when to use 'who' and when 'whom'. Thank goodness for proofers!

Dave5N

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but for some reason I misread that as "Thank goodness for poofters!" first time around.:tongue::laugh:

longers said:
Me too :biggrin:

I always misread Shoplifters instead of Shopfitters on the side of vans as well :wacko:

Aim for the chink of light. That's where the closet door is. You just need to make an effort to push it open, and then you'll be free.

Arch

Married to Night Train
papercorn2000 said:
It's that bloody glottal stop. I hate it when people say "wa'ur" (how do you type a glottal stop FFS?) instead of "water".

Damn, I think I knew that once, when I did English at the OU. It might have been a ! or something..

<goes off to google>

Top Bottom