Photography, new camera, can't decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a Pentax *ist D, which I've had since 2006 so is beginning to show it's age. It can still take good pictures but things have moved on and a larger LCD, video and a few other things would be useful.

So the question is to replace it with a newer SLR or go to a Compact System Camera which is more portable but still has the SLR quality. I'm not sure I'd get on with a CSC though, fiddling with a screen and the ones with more manual controls are out my price range. Likewise, weatherproofing is also out my price range, which is a shame, so something like an OMD-M5 is too much.

Right now I've got it down to an upgrade to a Pentax K30, which is weatherproofed but would mean selling my excellent 100mm macro lens, rarely used, as well as the old Pentax and zoom, as it needs to be nearly self-funding or dipping my toe in the water of CSC's with a 2nd hand Lumix G3 purchase for about a 100 and then seeing if I get on with CSC's.

I've dismissed Bridge camera and anything below micro 2/3rds for my main camera as not having the quality I desire.

I really can't decide though, thoughts?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I chose to go for something that was small, light and inexpensive. Much as I love gadgetry, I don't want to lug around something big that I would worry about dropping on the tarmac. Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7, less than £100. It's got all sorts of picture modes but I tend to stick with Intelligent Auto.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I flogged my camera and lenses and bought a Fuji X20, great camera that's easy to lug and takes quality pics, you can go fully manual to fully auto and anything in between. It's also got an optical viewfinder which is cool. Superb macro too. And its made out of metal. Anyway it's not what your looking for so I don't even know why I'm telling you.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have a samsung NX 1100 compact mirrorless camera, it's taken some pleasing shots for a budget camera. It does have some childish features but these can all be ignored and the camera has various priority modes + manual / program modes. It also has a manual focus mode, allowing you to control the focus. You will pay a premium for the lenses however, but these are compatible with other premium Samsung NX camera bodies if you have an eye on upgrading.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My sony RX100 compact is excellent. About £400. Takes fantastic pics and has full manual control. I think most cameras are just too big so you can't take them with you when you want to go light. Just slips in your pocket. Zeiss lens and f1.8 max aperture.

image.jpg

I use the Pentax K50 (the waterproofing was a decider) fro use in winter and bad weather and an Olympus Pen EPL5 for summer and portability.

However my deciding factor on use is based on a single feature - the eyepiece / back screen

The K50 has an eyepiece which uses either the back screen or a proper eyepiece. This is a blessing where bright sun can make viewing a screen difficult.

The PEN however has a screen which is able to tip, so when taking pictures of church roofs etc is easier.

My final camera is another Olympus the SZ31MR which has the same Live Guide software as the PEN - a capable little camera,with high quality, which does most of the functions of the bigger cameras
This is my "pocket camera" where I tend to keep one for ready use, and a DSLR is not necessarily the way to go.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The Sony Alpha range I know well. I think the Samsung nx range I'd looked at but not put on the short list, possibly due to lenses, either size or range, can't recall.

I like the rx100 and the x20 but neither are what I'm looking for. Fuji do an X-M1 which gets excellent reviews. My reasoning is that mirrorless cameras are small enough for me to take anywhere, whereas, sometimes I don't want to haul an Slr with me and never take the full bag of lenses etc. I guess what I really want to know is how people get on with csc cameras, whether they are portable enough, whether they're fiddly to use, etc.. and whether I've missed another option, so no suggestions are innapropriate really.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I use the Pentax K50 (the waterproofing was a decider) fro use in winter and bad weather and an Olympus Pen EPL5 for summer and portability.

However my deciding factor on use is based on a single feature - the eyepiece / back screen

The K50 has an eyepiece which uses either the back screen or a proper eyepiece. This is a blessing where bright sun can make viewing a screen difficult.

The PEN however has a screen which is able to tip, so when taking pictures of church roofs etc is easier.

My final camera is another Olympus the SZ31MR which has the same Live Guide software as the PEN - a capable little camera,with high quality, which does most of the functions of the bigger cameras
This is my "pocket camera" where I tend to keep one for ready use, and a DSLR is not necessarily the way to go.

Yeah, many cameras is the route I' m trying to avoid, it's what I do now. I was trying the one size fits all approach.

The problem is that the cost of the two options is often similar....

It would be quite possible to live and take fantastic photos in most conditions on the SZ31, especially as it is the same sensor as some of the bigger cameras, personally though I still want a full DSLR

However the touch sensitive screen is a double edged sword.

It is brilliant being able to alter stuff very easily, for instance you can touch the point on screen for exposure but stray shots are a pain when you touch the screen inadvertently

byegad

Legendary Member
I use m4/3 and 4/3 cameras a lot, I have 5 m4/3 and 2 4/3 bodies plus 25 lenses! Three of my m4/3 cameras don't have a built in view finder but I have two clip on Electronic Viewfinders which I use much more than the rear screen to take photos. I'm very, very happy with the quality of the resulting photos and have several A2 size prints on the walls of my house to prove it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I use m4/3 and 4/3 cameras a lot, I have 5 m4/3 and 2 4/3 bodies plus 25 lenses! Three of my m4/3 cameras don't have a built in view finder but I have two clip on Electronic Viewfinders which I use much more than the rear screen to take photos. I'm very, very happy with the quality of the resulting photos and have several A2 size prints on the walls of my house to prove it.
Ah the viewfinder is interesting. I'm dithering over cheaper models because I think I'd miss a viewfinder, hence me thinking of a 2nd hand Lumix G3 as a safe 'try', see if i get on with csc's.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I had an Olympus Pen, most used with a pancake lens to make it portable, usually found I needed another lens at some point though. Biggest problem I had was the autofocus wasn't quick enough, not as quick as Olympus would make out.

delb0y

Legendary Member
"I think I'd miss a viewfinder, hence me thinking of a 2nd hand Lumix G3 as a safe 'try', see if i get on with csc's."

I use Lumix a G3, which I bought as upgrade to a Fujifilm Bridge camera. I wanted something that had full manual controls. I'm really impressed with the ease of use of the G3. I bought a 20mm 1.7 lens to go with it (it came attached to a GF1 which is a lovely camera - but quite old now, and which doesn't have a viewfinder.). The G3 was new old stock at £200 last Xmas and it's been a great foray into CSCs for me.

I've recently borrowed a D5100 - my first DSLR. I need to spend a lot more time with it and compare quality with the G3 (not that I'm an expert on photographic quality). Both appear to have their plus and minuses handling-wise. But I'm starting to think that the future will be CSC for me. If I go out cycling, or if I'm wandering around town, I'm not going to take a DSLR. But the G3 with that 20mm lens just slips into a pannier or a coat pocket.

Trickedem

Guru
I have a Panasonic LF1, which replaced a Canon S90. Great little camera, with full control and nice and fast. I carry it with me most of the time, which is the best way of getting good photos. i.e. take lots!

Top Bottom