Photography, new camera, can't decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sometimes these threads answer more than the OP 's question.

Forgive me for going off topic....

@byegad I am toying with the idea of the EVF3 or EVF4 for the PEN ( price difference is negligible) which do you use?

Pentax - if you can keep some of the lenses, even better.

have a look at SRS microsystems, they often have good deals on 2nd hand stuff. i got a k100d from them when my original gave up and it was in superb condition.

I have a K30. it's been superceded now, so you may be able to get one on the cheap. it's a pretty good camera, but too many options for my liking! the k100d was ideal for me, just needed a faster frame rate. the k30 is weather sealed and i've been out in heavy rain with it without problems.

another option would be to head for the pentaxuk forum, lots of 2nd hand stuff there as some people tend to offload their gear once a new model has arrived.

or go for film - twin lens reflex cameras are the best!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I use Lumix a G3, which I bought as upgrade to a Fujifilm Bridge camera. I wanted something that had full manual controls. I'm really impressed with the ease of use of the G3. I bought a 20mm 1.7 lens to go with it (it came attached to a GF1 which is a lovely camera - but quite old now, and which doesn't have a viewfinder.). The G3 was new old stock at £200 last Xmas and it's been a great foray into CSCs for me.
That's reassuring. A 2nd hand g3 is about a 100 on ebay. It will give me a big clue if I'll get on with csc without me needing to flog my slr. I can then decide on that basis what to do next and the g3 can be flogged again if needed. I'm favouring this option at the moment but keep the input coming.

have a look at SRS microsystems, they often have good deals on 2nd hand stuff. i got a k100d from them when my original gave up and it was in superb condition.

I have a K30. it's been superceded now, so you may be able to get one on the cheap. it's a pretty good camera, but too many options for my liking! the k100d was ideal for me, just needed a faster frame rate. the k30 is weather sealed and i've been out in heavy rain with it without problems.

another option would be to head for the pentaxuk forum, lots of 2nd hand stuff there as some people tend to offload their gear once a new model has arrived.

+1 for SRS - I got a good deal from them on the K50, quick and reliable. WHen I asked about lenses they also seemed knowledgeable

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Definetly an option. K30 with a weather resistant lens. Takes a lot of space in a bar bag though.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
There's a few sellers on ebay buying kits and then flogging each bit separately, I picked up a new Panasonic lens for way cheaper than I'd seen elsewhere, in fact I sold it on ebay for a profit when I got rid of the lot.

Learnincurve

a 2nd hand Lumix G3 purchase for about a 100 and then seeing if I get on with CSC's.

Former camera dealer and owner of many many cameras that I should probably sell but I need all of them here. Go for this one, the G3 at £100 is an absolute bargain, the stock lens is fantastic for outdoors and it's the perfect weight and dimensions for bikes. I've done tests with every generation and type of Panasonic m4/3 camera and there really isn't much between them at all when it comes to actual picture quality, it's been improvements to the viewfinder and video mostly. ISO isn't horrid on the G1 but the G3 was the point where they got it to entry level crop sensor camera levels.

There isn't actually much difference between the G3 and normal crop sensor cameras at to be honest, especially with the stock lenses on, and the reason to go for m4/3 over anything else is the leica lenses. I absolutely guarantee you that the cheapest bottom of the barrel m4/3 camera with the 25mm f/1.4 http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/...ica-25-1-4-summilux-lens-review-for-micro-43/ will be better than a £800 camera with stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Former camera dealer and owner of many many cameras that I should probably sell but I need all of them here. Go for this one, the G3 at £100 is an absolute bargain, the stock lens is fantastic for outdoors and it's the perfect weight and dimensions for bikes. I've done tests with every generation and type of Panasonic m4/3 camera and there really isn't much between them at all when it comes to actual picture quality, it's been improvements to the viewfinder and video mostly. ISO isn't horrid on the G1 but the G3 was the point where they got it to entry level crop sensor camera levels.

There isn't actually much difference between the G3 and normal crop sensor cameras at to be honest, especially with the stock lenses on, and the reason to go for m4/3 over anything else is the leica lenses. I absolutely guarantee you that the cheapest bottom of the barrel m4/3 camera with the 25mm f/1.4 http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/...ica-25-1-4-summilux-lens-review-for-micro-43/ will be better than a £800 camera with stock.
Excellent feedback. I'm well aware of the difference a lens makes. My current 28-70 zoom has reasonable sharpness but lacks punch, my 70-210 is really punchy but softens visibly over 110mm and the 100mm macro is stunning but needs a porter to carry it.

Last edited:

Learnincurve

Good thing about the m4/3 maths is that it's actually half of full frame when it comes to focal lengths, so 25mm is the nifty fifty. I have the panasonic 100-300mm f/4-f/5.6 which will be about the same size as your 70-210 http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/telephoto.html#i_100-300mm_f040-056_panasonic only the 100-300 with the crop is actually 200-600mm

I really am hot on m4/3 personally I think they are a better alternative to crop sensor cameras, with the pricing being how it is with the camera market these days you are much better off getting a large full frame camera either entry level or second hand or a small M/43. The one exception to this is if you own old minolta metal beercan lenses in which case you put them on the cheapest lightest sony crop sensor camera that you can find. The old top of the range minolta glass is as good if not better than leica, however, it is very very heavy .

Doseone

Guru
Sounds like that Panasonic is a right bargain and a really good way to see if a csc is for you. In your shoes would go for that.

If I could afford it I would replace my DSLR with this Fuji XE1 with a great 18-55 lens in a heartbeat. Also, Fuji supposed to be announcing the X30 any day - rumoured to have a 1" sensor. Will be a cracking camera if true.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
@Learnincurve , we cycling ex-camera dealers have some work cut out for us. @Doseone , as with the Olympus, I would see what current reviews say about any new product. Sometimes these cameras are released, and they don't perform up to scratch. I have a Sony and an Olympus basic digital camera that are spec for spec in terms of capabilities, but the Sony always makes a far better picture. Fuji has what they call square pixel technology, which improves their megapixel picture quality. As with all things in art and romance, it is not the size of the brush, but what you do with it that counts most.
http://www.fujirumors.com/x30-coming-july-3rd-via-dpreview/
http://thenewcamera.com/tag/fuji-x30/
http://www.dailycameranews.com/2013/07/fujifilm-x30-announcement-this-fall-and-expected-specs/
fixed lens, though, according to rumors
I might also add that the best accessory to have in photography is a good solid tripod

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Sounds like that Panasonic is a right bargain and a really good way to see if a csc is for you. In your shoes would go for that.

If I could afford it I would replace my DSLR with this Fuji XE1 with a great 18-55 lens in a heartbeat. Also, Fuji supposed to be announcing the X30 any day - rumoured to have a 1" sensor. Will be a cracking camera if true.
Nice. I quite like the Xm-1 in my budget, no viewfinder though and I think I'd miss it.

As Gravity Aided says, the Sony's with their APS-c sensor are ahead of the pack in picture quality but I don't like them. A stupid reason I know but I just couldn't bring myself to buy what I consider to be an ugly camera and also as he says, specs is specs is specs.

Anyway, I have a bid in on a G3 and a few more on the watchlist. If I get one that won't be the end of this thread though :smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
@Gravity Aided yes, good point, specs really aren't everything.
Unfortunately, you cannot always go to a good photographic store anymore, and have a good salesman show you the differences in picture quality. I had a very capable fellow worked for us who would often shoot pictures under the same situations and explain the differences to customers (as did I) and that was always a great deciding factor. Nowadays, you have reviews online, or an 18 year old in a box store that doesn't know s---- about bokeh, lens resolution, or color and grayscale contrast of a lens.

Top Bottom