Picture=1000 words etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
whooooooooooo congrats archthe first one is always the hardest.:ohmy:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Looking at my computer in strong light part way round, I noticed that the LCD display only allows for a top speed of 799mph, as the digit to the far left doesn't have the necessary bits for an 8 or 9. That's just not fair....:ohmy:

I was just talking to my supervisor, and he told me about a mate of his who ran/walked the 76 miles of the Dales Way in under 24 hours (23.75 hrs actually). Now I feel all humble and unfit again!

Melvil

Arch said:
Looking at my computer in strong light part way round, I noticed that the LCD display only allows for a top speed of 799mph, as the digit to the far left doesn't have the necessary bits for an 8 or 9. That's just not fair....:ohmy:

I was just talking to my supervisor, and he told me about a mate of his who ran/walked the 76 miles of the Dales Way in under 24 hours (23.75 hrs actually). Now I feel all humble and unfit again!

Don't be. You did good. I haven't "Done the Tonne" yet so I'm looking up to you! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Melvil said:
Don't be. You did good. I haven't "Done the Tonne" yet so I'm looking up to you! :ohmy:

Cheers! I had sort of decided to do one by the end of the summer, and went out yesterday thinking 'well, maybe...' and hadn't even decided my route until I stopped for tea in Pocklington.

Next time, I'd like to be capable of sitting up to eat my dinner when I get back, instead of inhaling noodles from a bowl, virtually comatose...

I should point out that it was mostly flat as a pancake, I got the only hilly bit out of the way in the morning.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I should point out that it was mostly flat as a pancake,
Don't delude yourself that this makes long distances easy. The uniformity of the riding makes it much harder on your 'contact' points than say, rolling country where a change in position is always being forced upon you.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tim Bennet. said:
Don't delude yourself that this makes long distances easy. The uniformity of the riding makes it much harder on your 'contact' points than say, rolling country where a change in position is always being forced upon you.

Well, there is that, yes. I remember my first tour, to Norfolk, I turned east at Thurlby, Lincs, thinking "Hoorah, it's flat from here" and then discovered that flat means never getting to freewheel...

(and headwinds, and being overtaken by a couple of Chinese men on shopper bikes at one stage...)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Well done Arch. 200km next. :ohmy: (only a further 25 miles).

Good god, really? (I find it hard to think in Km)

I am wondering how far it would be to cycle to my Mum's - it's about a 100 miles by car, but that's using the motorways. I can just imagine her face if I turned up and said "I've just cycled over..."...

I'll need to get my speed up a bit for anything longer (or for any future 100's). And/or get going earlier, so that I can give myself longer breaks. Annoyingly I just missed the village hall in Elvington serving tea and cake for their Scarecrow festival, so I sat on a bench on the village green for water and a biscuit, hoping that the figure slumped face down on the next bench WAS a scarecrow, and not dead.

longers

Legendary Member
Well done Arch :evil:, I'll agree with Tim about flat rides being less forgiving on your contact points, I did a long flat ride on a bike I've done several long rides on and couldn't work out why I was so uncomfortable until I twigged.

Top Bottom