Pigeon Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I see your pigeon and raise you a jackdaw... This was the first one, second one a few days later wasn't so quiet and easy to get hold of!

IMG_0348.JPG

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er, guys, it's called a cowl.

A COWL.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Why would you ever hold it by the tail anyway?

Yes, hold it with your hands round its sides so that it can't open its wings and cause a scene!
Having worked with ducks and chickens in the past, I learned this VERY quickly!! :giggle:

If I'd known then what I know now!
In my defence, I was working in a confined space, the woodpigeon was cowering away from me, and the tail was the only part easily grabbable.^_^
I also learned VERY quickly, and removed the second one without any loss of feathers. Mind you, the way the local woodies have been behaving recently, I feel like removing a few more tails as punishment. Apart from having to clean the windows at least once a week when one of the daft buggers has tried to fly through, we've had to resort to using a covered feeder to stop them scoffing all the blackbird / robin food. They've got round this by simply tipping the feeder off the wall into the herb garden and troffing the spillage. Next step will be to find a way of securing the feeder to the wall, but I guess they'll eventually find a way to circumvent this - probably unscrewing the top of the feeder! They're not the most intelligent of birds (english mastery of understatement there), but they're quite capable of working things out in the long run.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I do not know if it is still there, but I believe a Methodist Church in our neighborhood when I was a kid had chimney caps in the shape of stylized owls, functioning as chimney tops and scaring pigeons away.

Sounds ingenious!!

ASC1951

Guru
That's proper mountain climbing, there. Remind me never to be a porter on your mountaineering expeditions, though.
A wise decision.
In fact I'm off to go up Chimborazo (6268m :eek:) later this year with my godson, fingers crossed. I had to pick a year when he would be old enough and I would be young enough - he is now a sturdy 6'3" but I have a free bus pass, so it may be a struggle. At least no ledges will be involved.

Top Bottom