ping anyone with a 2CV...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cute little video showing the construction process - I think, in Portugal... Seems like a nice relaxed assembly line, from the pace...

here

So cute....

gavintc

Guru
Yep, I have one - my wife got it as a surprise b'day pressie for me a couple of years ago. We love it. However, it looks like my son has effectively taken it over.

Edit: I am on the train heading south - just passing York interestingly and sadly the internet on the train is too slow to run this vid. I will try it again at home.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
oh, these days, you'd fit an electronic ignition thingy...

My old Mini had a similar sort of thing, I think it was a very subtle safety device. When ever it was cold, icy, foggy, snowy, wet or dark, I'd be safe from accidents, as the car wouldn't start!:eek:

Proto

Legendary Member
I've got one too ! Bought it 18 months ago as a runabout with the intention of rebuilding it. We had a Portugese built one back in the early 90s.

So, new one is in the midst of full restoration. Sourced a used but very sound original chassis. Had it shot blasted and galvanised. Body sent off for new floor and a few other bits and bobs, it's now at the paint shop. I've just about got all the back suspension and brakes refitted, front hubs and swing arms rebuilt awaiting fitting. It'll probably be on the road next summer with a bit of luck and a following wind.

simoncc

The 2CV was quaint, but it was a car, And it wasn't frugal. It's part of the cyclist/eco-type/Glastonbury/gap year/alternative lifestyle thing the salaried middle classes have got going for themselves rather then a true design classic like the Ford Fiesta or the Honda C90.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
simoncc said:
The 2CV was quaint, but it was a car, And it wasn't frugal. It's part of the cyclist/eco-type/Glastonbury/gap year/alternative lifestyle thing the salaried middle classes have got going for themselves rather then a true design classic like the Ford Fiesta or the Honda C90.

Cheers for that. It was a car then was it? Never too old to learn!

domd1979

Veteran
Never heard a Fiesta called a design classic before........

simoncc said:

gavintc

Guru
Yep, the 2CV is a silly car. It really does not make much sense. For similar money, I could have got a 10 yr old Saxo or something equally beige. But, driving it is just fun and quirky. The roof rolls back, it buzzes along and people point at you, some even laugh. The cornering is interesting. To top it off, I find myself looking forward to driving it. Something, I do not do when I jump into the boring family box. Silly, fun and perhaps a middle class extravagance. I hope my son looks after ours at uni in Newcastle as I cannot really justify keeping it.

simoncc

cookiemonster said:
I've always wanted a 2CV. They are cool little cars with a lot of character. :biggrin:

Trust Simon CC to try and take the fun out of it though.:sad:

There was no fun in the 2CV. It was rubbish. It was adopted by the 'I need to be different crowd' and I suppose ownership of such a fashionable article gave those people some pleasure.

Very nearly all the CV's fans have abandoned it. They have moved on to normal cars or more likely huge 4x4s. And they buy their kids cars for 'uni' because their kids 'need' a car for 'uni'.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
simoncc said:
There was no fun in the 2CV. It was rubbish. It was adopted by the 'I need to be different crowd' and I suppose ownership of such a fashionable article gave those people some pleasure.

Very nearly all the CV's fans have abandoned it. They have moved on to normal cars or more likely huge 4x4s. And they buy their kids cars for 'uni' because their kids 'need' a car for 'uni'.

And what's wrong with wanting to own something different? And what's wrong with having a car that's fun?

simoncc

gavintc said:
Yep, the 2CV is a silly car. It really does not make much sense. For similar money, I could have got a 10 yr old Saxo or something equally beige. But, driving it is just fun and quirky. The roof rolls back, it buzzes along and people point at you, some even laugh. The cornering is interesting. To top it off, I find myself looking forward to driving it. Something, I do not do when I jump into the boring family box. Silly, fun and perhaps a middle class extravagance. I hope my son looks after ours at uni in Newcastle as I cannot really justify keeping it.

What about the planetry emergency? You've willingly given your son an old fashioned, dirty old car to use at 'uni'? That's tantamount to child abuse. How do you expect him to care for Gaia when his father gives him a dirty old car? It's this type of parental irresponsibility that means the end of the world as we kow it - at least if those selfish Chinese and Indians insist on being so indulgent towards their incredibly talented offsrping.

Top Bottom