Police Officer with a chip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

No he wasn't simply giving advice. He was rude and confrontational over what essentially was a non event.

Leaping off your bike, sprinting across a major junction on the road (not the crossing) and against a red light is a non event ?.....what world do you inhabit ?

Sara_H

Guru
Leaping off your bike, sprinting across a major junction on the road (not the crossing) and against a red light is a non event ?.....what world do you inhabit ?
Yes, legally speaking it is. You appear to disagree, we shall have to agree to differ.
I think that it was utterly unneceserry for the police to stop this man, let alone speak to him in a rude and aggressive manner.

Sara_H

Guru
Sara you are a nurse. Behaviour like that idiot showed causes serious RTAs that the emergency services have to deal with and also have to explain to the families of some of the poor victims.
No, people running or walking across roads is not a common cause of serious collisions.

doog

Correct, for once. Ran, as in on foot, pushing a bicycle, during green man phase.

there was no green man , look at 0.12 on the vid the lights are changing to green for the traffic from his right before he had cleared the junction, a green man would involve a longer delay.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No, people running or walking across roads is not a common cause of serious collisions.
Junction Sarah, not road.

Would you suggest a child should cross a junction like this,just because there may or may not be a law against it.

There is also no law against picking up knives by the blade or catching javelins yet I can't imagine you would condone daft behaviour like that either.

I suspect you would teach a child to get off the junction and cross on either the crossing or a safe section of road, not on a green light in the middle of a four way junction.

The bloke is a fool of Mr Bean proportions and will cause an accident some day...but it won't be his fault cos it's all legal init.

Last edited:
OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Junction Sarah, not road.

Would you teach a child should cross a junction like this,just because there may or may not be a law against it.

There is also no law against picking up knives by the blade or catching javelins yet I can't imagine you would condone daft behaviour like that either.

I suspect you would reach a child to get off the junction and cross on either the crossing or a safe section of road, not on a green light in the middle of a four way junction.

The bloke is a fool of Mr Bean proportions and will cause an accident some day...but it won't be his fault cos it's all legal init.
Again - that is a misrepresentation of risk. Walking/running across a junction on a green man phase, providing you look out for others as you would when walking or running without a bike, wont cause others any kind of injury.

If you people are so against being on foot whilst pushing a bike how the hell do you ever park your bike? Does it levitate next to you, LOL!?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sara you are a nurse. Behaviour like that idiot showed causes serious RTAs that the emergency services have to deal with and also have to explain to the families of some of the poor victims.
What collision? It was a green man phase, You can even seen the lights change AFTER he starts to reseat.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Police officer head off, speaking just as myself here.

The 'risk' is purely the extension and reaffirmation of many drivers that "all cyclists red light jump". They won't care about the technicalities of the law.
And how do you think those biased are going to react when they've read cyclists themselves getting the legalities wrong here? We all have to be clear on not just the law but also our rights. Some of you might have reaffirmed the myths many of these people believe.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Again - that is a misrepresentation of risk. Walking/running across a junction on a green man phase, providing you look out for others as you would when walking or running without a bike, wont cause others any kind of injury!?

Excellent. I can't imagine why governmets around the world haven't already realised this and instead have wasted so much of our money on those silly crossing things.

What fools "we people" are.

middleman

Regular
Yes, legally speaking it is. You appear to disagree, we shall have to agree to differ.
I think that it was utterly unneceserry for the police to stop this man, let alone speak to him in a rude and aggressive manner.

I thought it was utterly unnecessary for the cyclist to do what he did instead of remain at the light until it changed like the other cyclist did who was beside him at the line.

Cyclist definitely says "green man". He might have been making that up but, either way, he is comfortably across and on his way before any other traffic moves. I reckon he knew perfectly well from experience that he had time to do it. It doesn't mean that he is not a cock of course but all this rationalising it as a crime is just nonsense.

I don't think it has been rationalised as a a crime as I think we have established that no offence has been committed by UK law but what I am saying that in my opinion what he did was irresponsible and unnecessary so therefore on that reasoning the Police officer was right to speak to him, I don't think he was overly rude or aggressive in the circumstances. I can imagine that as he was stopped in the road, he was expecting it to be a quick word and on you go but the cyclist then began arguing.

If it was me in the circumstances and I was stopped I would accept what was being said and research it myself or gauge opinion with my peers later on what was not only legal but what was usual cycling etiquette for future not start arguing with the officer at the roadside. I was brought up to respect the Police and wouldn't identify that as harassing me.

The example I could give is that when cycling I signal when turning to inform other road users of my intentions, I know other cyclists who don't, plenty of car drivers don't. I am unlikely to be prosecuted if I don't but think its the right thing to do and is in the highway code. If a Police Officer stopped me if I didn't signal to inform me that I should I wouldn't get on the offensive and say "But I don't have to".

Top Bottom