Police Officer with a chip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just a thought .....

Would this be any different to a car driver switching off his engine and pushing his car across the junction? ^_^

The driver is then in control of a mechanically propelled vehicle, even if it was propelled by a human at the time.

This opens up lots of motoring offences, although the wording for most of those is along the lines of 'you drove a mechanically propelled vehicle'.

Is pushing the sodding thing the same as driving it in this context?

No idea, but plenty there for lawyers to argue about.

middleman

Regular
Looking at it from another point of view. The position of the high kerbs/drop kerbs, barriers, the island visible in the video, timing phases at crossings are all designed and engineered in such a way to provide a safer place to cross for pedestrians minimising the chance of them being struck by a vehicle should a motorist go through a light or simply lose control.

The rider didn't dismount his bicycle correctly at the kerb mount the pavement and cross the road at the appropriate point, remount his bicycle at the kerb at the other side and carry on, just a chancer. Never ever going to be prosecuted for anything such as 'J walking' as there are many more things done on the roads which are much more serious which if detected are not prosecuted.

Doesn't make what he did right imo and unfortunately the lack of discipline and patience on our roads makes it more dangerous for all users but especially cyclists and pedestrians.

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru
The driver is then in control of a mechanically propelled vehicle, even if it was propelled by a human at the time.

This opens up lots of motoring offences, although the wording for most of those is along the lines of 'you drove a mechanically propelled vehicle'.

Is pushing the sodding thing the same as driving it in this context?

No idea, but plenty there for lawyers to argue about.
Even pushing is driving in the true sense of the word.

Sara_H

Guru
Looking at it from another point of view. The position of the high kerbs/drop kerbs, barriers, the island visible in the video, timing phases at crossings are all designed and engineered in such a way to provide a safer place to cross for pedestrians minimising the chance of them being struck by a vehicle should a motorist go through a light or simply lose control.

The rider didn't dismount his bicycle correctly at the kerb mount the pavement and cross the road at the appropriate point, remount his bicycle at the kerb at the other side and carry on, just a chancer. Never ever going to be prosecuted for anything such as 'J walking' as there are many more things done on the roads which are much more serious which if detected are not prosecuted. Doesn't make what he did right imo and unfortunately the lack of discipline and patience on our roads makes it more dangerous for all users but especially cyclists and pedestrians.
Pedestrians are allowed to walk on the road, they don't have to walk on the pavement.

Sara_H

Guru
So is pushing riding in the true sense of the word then?
Not sure, but the origins of the word drive aren't anything to do with cars.
You can drive a nail into wood, but you would expect to get pulled over by a copper for carrying a nail and hammer through a red light.

middleman

Regular
Pedestrians are allowed to walk on the road, they don't have to walk on the pavement.

I know in the UK they are permitted to cross the road anywhere they like but are advised by the Highway code that if there is a crossing available they should use it. Again not sure of the law but even if there isn't a specific Jaywalking law in the UK, it still doesn't make it right and the Police officer was right to have a word, their job is not just to uphold the law but primarily to protect life

If you are allowed to walk on the road it doesn't mean you should or that it is safe to do so. Maybe the law does need looked at in that case.

Sara_H

Guru
I know in the UK they are permitted to cross the road anywhere they like but are advised by the Highway code that if there is a crossing available they should use it. Again not sure of the law but even if there isn't a specific Jaywalking law in the UK, it still doesn't make it right and the Police officer was right to have a word, their job is not just to uphold the law but primarily to protect life

If you are allowed to walk on the road it doesn't mean you should or that it is safe to do so. Maybe the law does need looked at in that case.
But it does actually make it right, that's the point.
Pedestrians have as much right to use the road as cyclists, horse riders and motorised vehicles in the UK. whether you think that's right or not or safe or not doesn't matter. The fact is that this chap didn't do anything illegal, he didn't put anyone at risk.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Pedestrians have as much right to use the road as cyclists, horse riders and motorised vehicles in the UK. whether you think that's right or not or safe or not doesn't matter. The fact is that this chap didn't do anything illegal, he didn't put anyone at risk.

How do you work that out ? What about the traffic turning into the path that he is running into.

This is the sort of idiot that causes carnage but comes out of it smelling of roses.

Sara_H

Guru
How do you work that out ? What about the traffic turning into the path that he is running into.

This is the sort of idiot that causes carnage but comes out of it smelling of roses.
Work what out? If he'd been run over by a driver failing to notice a pedestrian on the road I've no doubt the driver would have been been dealt with very lightly as they so often are.

middleman

Regular

That is also your opinion that he didn't put anyone at risk and obviously the Police officer didn't agree with you in this case and felt the need to speak to him based on this but did no more than that because there was nothing to do which I thought was fair enough in my opinion. He didn't do anything illegal does not necessarily mean that he did not put anyone at risk including himself. The system of Policing in the UK involves Policing by consent which also means that not everything is written down like a constitution. There are certain parts of the world where the chap in question would not only be spoken to but prosecuted for an offence as they are much more strict regarding this.

There are many other places throughout the world that I prefer to cycle than the UK and a lot of this is down to the attitude of some road users and I mean all types of road users when I say this. It's the reason everytime I hear a car approaching behind me it could be game over as they could be looking at the phone in their lap rather than the road. It's their road for them to do with what they like.

Sara_H

Guru
That is also your opinion that he didn't put anyone at risk and obviously the Police officer didn't agree with you in this case and felt the need to speak to him based on this but did no more than that because there was nothing to do which I thought was fair enough in my opinion. He didn't do anything illegal does not necessarily mean that he did not put anyone at risk including himself. The system of Policing in the UK involves Policing by consent which also means that not everything is written down like a constitution. There are certain parts of the world where the chap in question would not only be spoken to but prosecuted for an offence as they are much more strict regarding this.

There are many other places throughout the world that I prefer to cycle than the UK and a lot of this is down to the attitude of some road users and I mean all types of road users when I say this. It's the reason everytime I hear a car approaching behind me it could be game over as they could be looking at the phone in their lap rather than the road. It's their road for them to do with what they like.
I suspect the police man chose to speak to him because like many he has a poor attitude towards cyclists than concern of risk. We've all watched the video, he didn't put anyone at risk, there wasn't any traffic.
You can waffle on about policing by consent and what might happen in other parts of the world all you like, but the fact remains that in the UK where it was filmed he hasn't broken any laws and the police officer had no right to speak to him in the disrespectful manner that he did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom