Police Officer with a chip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My bruvver rides a carbon hardtail mountain bike.

He reckons some traffic lights are not tripped by the plastic frame, so if he's alone at a junction he has to turn himself into a pedestrian.

I thought most traffic lights change automatically after a while to avoid the 'waiting and not tripped' scenario.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The correct advice to give is to get off bike, mount pavement and cross the road on foot from the pavement when its safe to do so and yes i would certainly say this to Hants Police.
Its not a legal obligation. How can it be "correct advice"? What you mean is YOU want people to do it this way.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
My bruvver rides a carbon hardtail mountain bike.

He reckons some traffic lights are not tripped by the plastic frame, so if he's alone at a junction he has to turn himself into a pedestrian.

I thought most traffic lights change automatically after a while to avoid the 'waiting and not tripped' scenario.

I've been sat at lights in Southampton on sensor scenario and timed them. One on Bargate Street wont change for over 7 minutes. I'm not aware of any rider who would wait that long on such a quiet road.

It would be much safer for everyone if people just obeyed traffic lights and had a bit of patience. I don't want to cycle through junctions where other riders are hot-footing it all over the shop.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
It would be much safer for everyone if people just obeyed traffic lights and had a bit of patience. I don't want to cycle through junctions where other riders are hot-footing it all over the shop.
He said in the description it was a pedestrian stage. Are you really suggesting he should have an obligation to wait based upon that?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Its not a legal obligation. How can it be "correct advice"? What you mean is YOU want people to do it this way.
He was clearly cycling up to the lights and did not want to stop for them so he jumped off and ran with his bike across the junction.

He has jumped the lights.

The safest thing to do and the advice i and any other sensible Police Officer would give would be that if you don't feel safe, as someone mentioned earlier or you want to cross the junction without waiting for the lights to change is to get off, get on the pavement and cross when its safe to do so as a pedestrian.

Svendo

Guru
There are definitely some traffic light filters that only change when a vehicle is detected. For instance the right turn from Kingsway into Moss Bridge Road in Rochdale and at night the right turn from Kingsway onto Isaac Newton Way. As per previous threads on that subject the local authority will often increases the sensitivity if requested, and some lights appear to me to have coils installed to specifically detect cycles, and seem to have changed for me when approached at night with no other traffic.

pawl

Legendary Member
why?

what's so wrong with dismounting and walking across the road?
I was once stopped by a cop when pushing my bike up one way street.Not allowed according to thePC.Asked him is it ok if I picked the bike up and carried it.After some thought he decided that the bike would technically become a parcel so would become a parcel.He also advised me that there was once bylaw that stated prams were once prohibited from being pushed on the footpath.Any one want to buy my shopping trolley.

sight-pin

Veteran
Personally i couldn't be bothered to dismount etc, But i would think he should of mounted the kerb/curb first to be seen as a pedestrian to perform that move, as it could of been misconstrued by motorist etc, therefore not a wise move IMO.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was once stopped by a cop when pushing my bike up one way street.Not allowed according to thePC.Asked him is it ok if I picked the bike up and carried it.After some thought he decided that the bike would technically become a parcel so would become a parcel.He also advised me that there was once bylaw that stated prams were once prohibited from being pushed on the footpath.Any one want to buy my shopping trolley.

One of my college tutors said a similar thing... it sounded like BS then and still does.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
He was clearly cycling up to the lights and did not want to stop for them so he jumped off and ran with his bike across the junction.

He has jumped the lights.

The safest thing to do and the advice i and any other sensible Police Officer would give would be that if you don't feel safe, as someone mentioned earlier or you want to cross the junction without waiting for the lights to change is to get off, get on the pavement and cross when its safe to do so as a pedestrian.

Again, he hasnt technically jumped the lights. Provide evidence to the counter if you believe that.

Who says its safest to detour around the pavements/barriers? Stats, please.

Top Bottom