Police Officer with a chip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
If you're walking, you're a pedestrian and have every right to go over a pedestrian crossing like this guy did. If he'd cycled over a pedestrian crossing then that would have been different because he could have cycled over/into a pedestrian. But he became a pedestrian in order to use the crossing... which is the whole point of it.

I'm kind of surprised by people's responses to the contrary.
I think the assertion many are trying to make is that he didn't walk across the pedestrian crossing but across the road along side it. Some people seem to think this is illegal.
I don't understand. It would be legal to walk or run there without a bike, why would it be illegal with one. What's the difference?

potsy

Rambler
If it was a scooter rider who did the same do you think it would have been acceptable?

Feastie

Über Member
I think the assertion many are trying to make is that he didn't walk across the pedestrian crossing but across the road along side it. Some people seem to think this is illegal.
I don't understand. It would be legal to walk or run there without a bike, why would it be illegal with one. What's the difference?

...in which case I cross the road on foot illegally all the time! I agree with you entirely.

Sara_H

Guru
He crossed the stop sign on the road running the red light at the same time.

He didnt just run off the pavement across the road.
But that's not illegal. Riding across astride a bike is, running or walking across on foot isn't.
You may not like it, but traffic lights don't apply to pedestrians walking in the road.

Sara_H

Guru
Just a thought .....

Would this be any different to a car driver switching off his engine and pushing his car across the junction? ^_^
Well, slightly less practical to shove a car across! Discussed further up thread - apparently not legal to push car through a red light, but legal to push a bike through.

Sara_H

Guru
No but they do apply to cyclists of which he is clearly in this video.

As @potsy said would you say the same thing if it was a scooter rider?
Scooters a motor vehicle, so no, not legal.
And no, the fella in the video wasn't a cyclist, he was a pedestrian pushing a bike. So again, like it or not, he wasn't breaking any laws.

U

User33236

Well, slightly less practical to shove a car across! Discussed further up thread - apparently not legal to push car through a red light, but legal to push a bike through.
Must've missed than when I skimmed over the thread. :blush:

Sara_H

Guru
Thing is, it's actually another example of the fact that our roads and laws haven't really kept pace with the change in the way we use them.
Lots of people are getting away with stuff that is clearly wrong on technicalities, and we spend ages arguing the toss over things like this video, where the chap hasn't put anyone at risk based in the fact that it seems like it should be illegal.
Bonkers.

Sara_H

Guru
He ran the STOP Line on the road not on the pavement .
Doesn't matter, he was on foot so he was a pedestrian and pedestrians are allowed to run across junctions even if there is a red light. Traffic sognals don't apply to pedestrians, even if they happen to be wheeling a bike that they were riding moments earlier, and pedestrians are allowed to walk/run in the road.
No offence has been committed.

Top Bottom