Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 1360x768

• 1600x900

• 1680x1050

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

peanut

thomas said:
LOL!! I don't think you can only blame the text :smile::biggrin:

:laugh::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I know.... I know ...but its partly due to my job :?::biggrin:
I have thought about not wearing reading glasses for a few weeks and seeing if there is any improvement in my sight but I cannot survive a single day without reading. It is my curse /khama :rofl:

Shaun

Founder
peanut said:
I'm not sure i buy the claim about new monitors having default settings at 800x600 I doubt if you could but a monitor today with a native resolution of 800x600 . The 17" CRT monitor I purchased 8 years ago had a 1024x768 :tongue: I challenge anyone to show me a new monitor available to buy today that has a default 800x600 resolution setting.

Unfortunately I think there's a misunderstanding here - it's not the monitor that decides the resolution, it's the PC.

It's a software setting, either in the OS desktop settings or within the video driver settings for your graphics card.

You could have a 50" monitor capable of massive desktop sizes, but the default for a new PC will still be 800 x 600 to start with. You can change it, of course, but if you don't you'll still have to scroll across wide web pages.

peanut said:
Just one last question and I promise no more . Why is it that the C+ forum uses a full page format in their forums and CC don't . I'm sure there must be a good reason but I don't profess to know enough to guess why .

By C+ I assume you mean BikeRadar? (since C+ is no longer :biggrin:)

I can't answer for BikeRadar but I chose the narrower format to make reading long forum posts easier.

Try reading several pages of CC on 100% width over a 1440 x 900 or larger desktop size and you'll soon see how a narrower width setting can be helpful.

I do offer choice though; you can chose the default narrow format, or you can go for something inbetween - once set, it sticks.

Another reason for not offering more options is simply time. There are lots of formatting tweaks I could carry out on CC, but I just don't have much free time to experiment with them. Maybe some time in the future. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

OP
OP
P

peanut

Admin said:
Unfortunately I think there's a misunderstanding here - it's not the monitor that decides the resolution, it's the PC.

It's a software setting, either in the OS desktop settings or within the video driver settings for your graphics card.

You could have a 50" monitor capable of massive desktop sizes, but the default for a new PC will still be 800 x 600 to start with. You can change it, of course, but if you don't you'll still have to scroll across wide web pages.

By C+ I assume you mean BikeRadar? (since C+ is no longer :laugh:)

I can't answer for BikeRadar but I chose the narrower format to make reading long forum posts easier.

Try reading several pages of CC on 100% width over a 1440 x 900 or larger desktop size and you'll soon see how a narrower width setting can be helpful.

I do offer choice though; you can chose the default narrow format, or you can go for something inbetween - once set, it sticks.

Another reason for not offering more options is simply time. There are lots of formatting tweaks I could carry out on CC, but I just don't have much free time to experiment with them. Maybe some time in the future. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun

sorry Shaun I really wasn't criticising CC . The reason i posted the poll here was because I respect the members opinions here more than any other forum I can think of.

My frustrations are with all websites that have tiny text especially if they are really cluttered with little differentiation between general text and titles.

Thank you for spending so much time explaining the CC site format selection. I now have a much better insight into the process and choices available.

I agree that you can set the monitor resolution on the PC which does initially determine the monitor resolution displayed but when you attach a new monitor to any PC Windows boots recognises new hardware and automatically installs the correct drivers and native monitor resolution.

A PC user would have to go into the adaptor settings and physically change those settings back to 800x600

The only reason a PC would limit a monitor resolution to 800x600 is if the user didn't install the monitor or the graphics adaptor drivers or were using the PC in safe mode.

Shaun

Founder
I must admit, it can be really annoying when designers put style infront of practicality.

Fixed-size minature fonts are the most annoying - the ones that won't increase in size no matter what browser settings you use - especially those with very limited contrast between the font and background colours.

And text embedded in flash files that can't be selected and copied - things like timetables, etc. that you want to cut and paste but can't - they're flippin annoying too!!

It's probably best to vote with your mouse. :angry:

yenrod

Admin said:
And text embedded in flash files that can't be selected and copied - things like timetables, etc. that you want to cut and paste but can't - they're flippin annoying too!!

Dont get me started...

thomas

the tank engine
yenrod said:
Dont get me started...

I hate the way flash is used a lot of the times (when the entire website is flash). Successful websites are those which load quickly and are highly accessible. A lovely looking website, which you can't use properly will fail. Sites like Amazon, don't look great, but are highly successful!

OP
OP
P

peanut

redjedi said:
1680x1050 for my 22" home monitor
1280x1024 for my work one.

If you have trouble reading text on a website, why don't you use an on-screen magnifier

Ubuntu has a nice one

could do but I'd never use such an abomination as ubuntu . Its incompatable with all my hardware and software . Can't see why anybody bothers with it :ohmy:

redjedi

Über Member
peanut said:
could do but I'd never use such an abomination as ubuntu . Its incompatable with all my hardware and software . Can't see why anybody bothers with it ;)

Ok, I'll give you the software issues, but most hardware is compatible. All my stuff works, printer/scanner, old digital camera, new mobile phone.

Software hasn't affected me yet, except for one game which my grandparents bought me for Christmas, but they weren't to know that it wouldn't work. To them a PC is a PC and a Mac is a waterproof coat :tongue:

Oh yeah......and it's all free :o)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
peanut said:
could do but I'd never use such an abomination as ubuntu . Its incompatable with all my hardware and software . Can't see why anybody bothers with it :ohmy:

What sort of hardware are you using??

Top Bottom