Portable Air Con for home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
The noise isn't an issue compared to how hot it gets upstairs... its stifling up there right now and we have a 4 month old baby to consider also.

I've seen the silent Dyson fan jobbies, but just assumed it to be a posh silent fan lol

I bought a long exhaust hose for the last second hand one we had for few quid from Toolstation so I assume that will give better placement options as a window is never too far away.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Got my eye on this one http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/A...Air_Conditioner_SF12000E/version.asp#maindesc

I'm hoping it will be sufficient for the upstairs and I want to try and place it so that it is blowing cold air into two rooms (doors are next to each other so might be do-able)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Or you could vent the house at night, leave the windows, shutters and blinds on the east side closed in the morning, then open the blinds once the sun's off them and close the west. The thermometers here read 36 outside and 24 inside at noon... I think inside peaked at 26.

You might need to buy thermal blinds (I could probably keep it a couple of degrees cooler if I did the last few windows) and things to keep the windows secure while venting, but it'll be more sustainable. There are other tricks, such as plants, verandahs and misting patios, but they cost more...

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Or you could vent the house at night, leave the windows, shutters and blinds on the east side closed in the morning, then open the blinds once the sun's off them and close the west. The thermometers here read 36 outside and 24 inside at noon... I think inside peaked at 26.

You might need to buy thermal blinds (I could probably keep it a couple of degrees cooler if I did the last few windows) and things to keep the windows secure while venting, but it'll be more sustainable. There are other tricks, such as plants, verandahs and misting patios, but they cost more...
We are pretty much doing the first piece already, so as to avoid the sun etc. It must just be something to do with the positioning and style of house that makes it retain heat massively upstairs.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We have just bought one. I think it called airflex. Does air con and can then create heat as well in the winter. £350.00. It can be a bit noisy, which is a con, but the plus side is it does what it says on the tin. Its been great in my house over the last couple of days.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Modern houses are terrible for heat retention. They are designed to be draughtproof / retain heat during the winter, which makes then a nightmare to cool in the summer. Plus heat rises so the bedrooms are usually several degrees hotter as the heat is trapped under all that loft insulation.
The Dyson fan doesn't seem worth the money to me. There was one on the counter in the shop when I was buying a ten quid fan for the office and apart from being a bit quieter I struggled to see any difference in the amount of air being moved - certainly not worth over 20 times the asking price...
As for the portable a/c units, our local B&Q was selling them off for £70 at the end of last summer. Today, I'm really wishing I'd bought one. :sun:

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
We have just bought one. I think it called airflex. Does air con and can then create heat as well in the winter. £350.00. It can be a bit noisy, which is a con, but the plus side is it does what it says on the tin. Its been great in my house over the last couple of days.
What BTU rating was it do you know? I can see the 14,000 BTU version for around £400...

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Modern houses are terrible for heat retention. They are designed to be draughtproof / retain heat during the winter, which makes then a nightmare to cool in the summer. Plus heat rises so the bedrooms are usually several degrees hotter as the heat is trapped under all that loft insulation.
The Dyson fan doesn't seem worth the money to me. There was one on the counter in the shop when I was buying a ten quid fan for the office and apart from being a bit quieter I struggled to see any difference in the amount of air being moved - certainly not worth over 20 times the asking price...
As for the portable a/c units, our local B&Q was selling them off for £70 at the end of last summer. Today, I'm really wishing I'd bought one. :sun:

Worth a punt all day long at £70 if they were proper AC units and not just air coolers.

welsh dragon

What BTU rating was it do you know? I can see the 14,000 BTU version for around £400...

Apparently it does both. It is very efficient where the energy used and heat or cool air iout is concerned, but im not sure what the BTU is. Sorry. I think we got it from appliance direct as well.

welsh dragon

Its this one. 14,000 BTU. The price has gone up. It was £349.00
Screenshot_2015-07-01-21-57-44.png

Top Bottom