Portable Air Con for home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Its this one. 14,000 BTU. The price has gone up. It was £349.00 View attachment 94580

Thought it might be that one. I took a punt and got its slightly smaller sibling, the 12,000 BTU version http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/plac12000hp/electriq-plac12000hp#top

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Modern houses are terrible for heat retention. They are designed to be draughtproof / retain heat during the winter, which makes then a nightmare to cool in the summer. Plus heat rises so the bedrooms are usually several degrees hotter as the heat is trapped under all that loft insulation.
The upstairs rooms do get hotter, but all that insulation is good at keeping heat out as well as in, as long as you cool the house overnight. Try putting your head outside the insulation and see how cold it isn't :/

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
We went a cheap route about 6 years ago and bought an air cooler. Basically it is a large water tub with a cloth roller that rotates and drags the moist cloth past the electric fan. Not too noisy and we fill the base with freezer packs so the water is cool enough to lower the temperature. We picked it up for about £40 from a hardware store that was closing down - but they can be had for about £80 upwards from Homebase and the likes. Ours is currently in the shed but I will bring it indoors if it gets hot this Summer.

Reactions: mjr

Drago

Legendary Member
I just go to work and use their air con, although typically someone will be whingeing its too cold and instead of putting on the fleece they were issued will turn the temp up.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
They had an AirCon guy on Radio 4 last night (PM) and he was suggesting between £150 - £500 for a portable unit with the £500 ones being top whack of what you'd expect to pay. His emphasis was on making sure you were honest about the area you were trying to Air Con as their biggest problem is people saying 'the room is X big' being told that's a job for two units, buying 1 because it's cheaper, then complaining it's not keeping the area cool. So you might want to look at choosing which bits of the house to cool, and closing doors, etc. to keep that area the right size.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
They had an AirCon guy on Radio 4 last night (PM) and he was suggesting between £150 - £500 for a portable unit with the £500 ones being top whack of what you'd expect to pay. His emphasis was on making sure you were honest about the area you were trying to Air Con as their biggest problem is people saying 'the room is X big' being told that's a job for two units, buying 1 because it's cheaper, then complaining it's not keeping the area cool. So you might want to look at choosing which bits of the house to cool, and closing doors, etc. to keep that area the right size.

Good advice, thanks.

I'm hoping I have slightly over spec'd the one I went for. It is supposedly good for a few square meters bigger than our largest room.

Top Bottom