Pr*cks on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
no proboem with wobblers...in fact I dont think this thread does either. Certainly the OP didn't. How did we get onto wobblers.

its the pricks Mikey...its all about the pricks!

red light jumping, pavement riding, pedestrian abusing pricks

What he said!!!! People that wobble worry me, for their own safety (especially when they wobble up the inside of buses and hgvs - but I always give them a wide berth. It's the swerving right on their crappy mountain bike with their saddle (and jeans) too low, hoodie wearing pricks that are the worst offenders

Jdratcliffe

I wish I saw more cyclists on my commute to comment upon. Two hours a day riding and I'm very lucky/surprised if it gets into double figures per day more than once or twice a month.
are poor you greg - where you cycle to -from i head up from Merstham along the A23 every morning into London on a nice weather day i can see 60/70+ admitting more as i near London but at lest 10 or so into Purley and Croydon.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
are poor you greg - where you cycle to -from i head up from Merstham along the A23 every morning into London on a nice weather day i can see 60/70+ admitting more as i near London but at lest 10 or so into Purley and Croydon.
Horsham Town Centre to the west side of Haywards Heath. 6 this morning. And one of those was pushing her bike along the pavement whilst another was about 4-years-old.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
It sounds like whinging rather than real danger to me. I don't mean to belittle your concerns, but it's almost certain they're no danger to anyone else, and not very much danger to themselves either.

Risky cycling is rarely to blame for "accidents" [sic]
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

Well I came within inches of hitting one of these morons last week and just by sheer luck I wasn't involved in an accident.That's without looking out for the cabs and cars that cut me up because their owners just haven't got a clue or are just total cretins.

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
It sounds like whinging rather than real danger to me. I don't mean to belittle your concerns, but it's almost certain they're no danger to anyone else, and not very much danger to themselves either.

I'm not sure you can say that, with so many of us having near misses. If you look back all of the problems I encountered were people nearly running into me at junctions or coming up the inside from behind, so your "you're obviously too close" lecture is not relevant.

stowie

Legendary Member
I totally agree with your sentiment here but the only point in your post that is relevant to mine is the issue of competence levels which I accept will have a direct effect on the "total" skill of cyclists.

Other than that, I'm sorry but your post just sounds like a "well cars are worse than us so its fine" responce.

Axe murderes are even worse than us so perhaps we should all jump reds and cruise pavements as we are far ahead of the curve on that comparison.

Comparing us to cars doesn't help. We need to improve cyclists skills (and attitudes) and forget about what others do or don't do...we need to get on with it and stop making excuses for crap riding by constantly comparing ourselves to the next worst thing.

getting a bit ranty...sorry

Not ranty at all!

I maintain that, by a far majority the most unskilled lawbreaking users of the road...are cyclists. we really need to get our own house in order if we want to be treated with the respect we crave.

This was really the bit I was responding to. I don't think cyclists are the majority of law breakers - not least because our numbers are small compared with the numbers of motor vehicles. If you were thinking that the proportion of law breakers to total users was greater with cyclists, I also think that this may well not be true - it is just that we take a number of quite serious law breaking activities that motorists do as simply "something that happens". 13% of London motorists are uninsured, so there is a quite large proportion to start with, add in those who regularly break speed limits plus those who use mobile phone, amber gamble, cross ASLs on red and we get a fairly hefty proportion of motorists. There are many road users who don't view breaking the 20mph limits, or even 30mph limits to be that serious - but it can and does cost lives. This has become so common place that it is accepted.

My second point was really that getting "our house in order" will matter not one jot with how we are treated on the road. I don't bully BMW drivers because one the other day was an idiot and cut me up. Cyclists are bullied on the roads because it people can and it is unfortunately deemed acceptable by a proportion of other road users. On the other hand, even if it were true that all motorists would suddenly treat us well if we all collectively behaved, this would be nigh on impossible as cycling is treated as a right on the roads in law and so anyone can do it without training. Unless we want to change this, we have to accept the vast range of competence that will be out there and try to educate by example etc. As long as there are idiots in the world there will be idiots on bicycles.

Finally, the interesting thing is that I sometimes feel crowded by cyclists when in central London. But the risk is really small - I wonder if it is because we are collectively used to motorised road traffic and their issues but, until relatively recently, have not had to negotiate with large numbers of cyclists as well. Maybe we are all collectively learning how to share the road with larger numbers of cyclists. For my part, I am always amazed by the procedure that happens at London lights. Those serious cyclists in clipless pedals spend a while faffing around when it goes green whilst us flat pedal users go past, only to be overtaken by the serious cyclists on the straight and then all reach the next red light for the procedure to happen all over again! I put it down to the tapestry of life.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This was really the bit I was responding to. I don't think cyclists are the majority of law breakers - not least because our numbers are small compared with the numbers of motor vehicles. If you were thinking that the proportion of law breakers to total users was greater with cyclists, I also think that this may well not be true - it is just that we take a number of quite serious law breaking activities that motorists do as simply "something that happens". 13% of London motorists are uninsured, so there is a quite large proportion to start with, add in those who regularly break speed limits plus those who use mobile phone, amber gamble, cross ASLs on red and we get a fairly hefty proportion of motorists. There are many road users who don't view breaking the 20mph limits, or even 30mph limits to be that serious - but it can and does cost lives. This has become so common place that it is accepted.

My second point was really that getting "our house in order" will matter not one jot with how we are treated on the road. I don't bully BMW drivers because one the other day was an idiot and cut me up. Cyclists are bullied on the roads because it people can and it is unfortunately deemed acceptable by a proportion of other road users.

I don't really want to get into a comparison discussion but I do have to say that I think "proportionally" this is still not the case. From my own experience about 50-60% of cyclists jump red lights, around 30% ride on pavements at some point (I was stuck in a log jam last night and every single rider ...except me, just rode along the pavement or between the roadwork cones to carry on...I have footage of a similar indecent a year ago that attracted comments to this effect). That means that Half the drivers on the road would need to be breaking the law to keep their end up...this just isn't the case. You only have to watch channels like the droids to see that proportionally very few drivers do so. that's not to defend or condone those that do, its just that many, many dont.

Your second point is made very clearly and I know is one that is shared by many, just not me. I have the opposing view that collectivly we can alter our impression by good behaviour. You dont bully BMW drivers... because you are not a bully so it is not in your nature. But I'll bet your bottom dollar you do take extra care around taxis, black cabs, mini cabs, motorcycles, van drivers and cars that have unusually loud exhausts and stereos...why...what made you "assume" these would be a problem?

Experience did... negative experience to be accurate.

Furthermore, if the authorities made a sterner/more visible effort to clamp down (as they are now being allowed to) this would help to educate drivers on what is right and wrong. Drivers would soon understand that cycle lanes are not mandatory, that we are allowed on the road and that riding in primary is done for a reason.

Don't be silly with respect to them not being a danger to themselves and other people.

Last night waiting in the filter lane to turn right off the Marly road into Pancras road that leads down the side of Kings X.

Lights go green and me and another cyclist start to turn right, people at the junction crossing on Pancras road use this break in the lights to cross. I touch the brakes and slow down waiting for a safe point to go through.

The other cyclist does not touch the brakes, actually accelerates with his finger firmly pressed on his Airzound, giving a blast 2 feet from a couple of peds legally crossing the road scaring the shoot of them.

I catch up with him and ask him if there is any need to use his horn on peds, to which he laughed and replied ''yeah''.

Seriously, what a self-gratification artist, it won't be long before he causes himself and/or others harm with that type of attitude towards other road users.

We can all dredge up stories of ghastly, dangerous, careless motorists - and cyclists who are the same or worse.

I now ride regularly with my 16-year-old son and as we wind down after a piece of work the chat sometimes turns to close passes and artics slamming the door too early after a pass. Then we just simmer down and keep pedalling.

It is horrid to be needlessly exposed to peril by the poor behaviour of another road user. Some members of this forum like to demonstrate with statistics how it is much more likely that a motorist will kill a cyclist than vice versa. I've assumed that since my age was in single figures and as a topic of thought it doesn't really have a place at the top table. I know that for some it does, but for me and many like me it is not a thing to get all 'rightfully indignant' about.

Some cyclists are ghastly, selfish or dangerous. Some are all of those. Similarly, some motorists tick those boxes, but most are courteous and skilled.

When I read pieces here and elsewhere that seem to have a slightly anti-cyclist or anti-motorist flavour, I cannot help but be reminded a little of the sort of objectionable anti-immigrant drivel one reads in some of the red tops. I'm not drawing a direct link, but there is something of the same odour about both.

Many of us who have cycled, driven different classes of road vehicle and ridden motorcycles over a number of decades find this divisive view of different types of road user unhelpful.

If you want to get cross about something, what about ivy roots? There are places where I've been digging, mattocking and ripping the roots for years and they still come back. Bastards! Heartless, rampaging, garden-ruining, tree-smothering, mortar cracking bastards!!!

Thank you.

stowie

Legendary Member
Jonny,

I would say that speeding is endemic and most motorists do it on a regular basis - whether it is 30mph in a 20mph or 80mph on the motorway. I would wager that more than half the drivers on the A11 between Bow and Stratford are over 30mph. I would also wager that virtually everyone on the M11 slip road from the North Circular is doing much more than the posted 50mph. I know because if I try 50mph I get a log jam of vehicles behind me (the slip comes in from the right - it is a bit odd hence the lowered speed limit). Speeding is so endemic that no-one really notices except the blatent cases.

I think that making cyclists more aware of other road-users and stopping anti-social behaviour is a good thing. I don't think it will change attitudes that much though. I have an example the other day where I was driving in a 20mph residential area with a car (normal car, normal driver) right on my tail since I was actually doing 20mph. A teenage cyclist comes up the road the wrong way (one way street) pulling a wheelie. I slow and stop. One can either assume that the 15 year old out playing with his friends in his street should be accommodated until he finds somewhere to pull over or that the motorist has an inalienable right of way and the youngster deserves to be punished. I think the former, judging by the hand gestures of the driver behind, he thought the latter. I used to think the latter as well, but changed my views when I started to cycle. We need to have motorists and society change their attitude to their road-use, and this will only happen with them.

As cyclists, I just don't think we should beat ourselves up over others actions, or assume that their actions are the reason why things are less than ideal on our roads for us.

stowie

Legendary Member
Don't be silly with respect to them not being a danger to themselves and other people.

Last night waiting in the filter lane to turn right off the Marly road into Pancras road that leads down the side of Kings X.

Lights go green and me and another cyclist start to turn right, people at the junction crossing on Pancras road use this break in the lights to cross. I touch the brakes and slow down waiting for a safe point to go through.

The other cyclist does not touch the brakes, actually accelerates with his finger firmly pressed on his Airzound, giving a blast 2 feet from a couple of peds legally crossing the road scaring the shoot of them.

I catch up with him and ask him if there is any need to use his horn on peds, to which he laughed and replied ''yeah''.

Seriously, what a ******, it won't be long before he causes himself and/or others harm with that type of attitude towards other road users.

And this idiot cyclist will get into a car and be exactly the same. Although I do say that we shouldn't worry about others cycling, the blasting through pedestrians really gets my goat. It is so uncivilised, and unnecessary. Not least because, as you managed, with a little bit of accommodation cyclists and pedestrians can mingle perfectly well.

dawesome

From my own experience about 50-60% of cyclists jump red lights, around 30% ride on pavements at some point That means that Half the drivers on the road would need to be breaking the law to keep their end up...this just isn't the case.
Most drivers admit speeding on motorways

As many as 61% of drivers admitted to going at speeds of 80mph or more on motorways - at least 10mph above the limit, the survey showed.
Some 23% of motorists reached these excessive speeds at least once a week, the poll of 942 drivers revealed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8089230/Most-drivers-admit-speeding-on-motorways.html

A poll taken by road safety charity Brake, in association with Direct Line insurance has found that nearly half of drivers questioned admitted to using their mobile phone whilst driving.

http://blog.rightmobilephone.co.uk/half-of-drivers-admit-to-using-mobile-whilst-at-the-wheel/

Drivers chatting on mobiles killed 11 people last year, speeding drivers killed a thousand. Cyclists killed nobody. Law breaking is rife on the roads, the real danger most certainly does not come from cyclists.

Top Bottom