1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pr*cks on bikes

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Becs, 3 Apr 2012.

1. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

If you're worried about the wobblers knocking you under a taxi, then perhaps give a bit more room and/or a bit more brake?

2. MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist Riding the Devil's HIghway

Highway code rule 213:
    "Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make."

Jezston likes this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

I think we all understand that. The un-indicated right turn or lane swap with no look or any other clue as to intention is a different matter though.

Becs likes this.
  4. jonny jeez

jonny jeez Veteran

no proboem with wobblers...in fact I dont think this thread does either. Certainly the OP didn't. How did we get onto wobblers.

its the pricks Mikey...its all about the pricks!

red light jumping, pavement riding, pedestrian abusing pricks

5. MisterStan

MisterStan Label Required

You're ranting again Jonny!

6. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Rant away is what I say...:wacko:^_^

7. Becs

Becs Über Member

What he said!!!! People that wobble worry me, for their own safety (especially when they wobble up the inside of buses and hgvs - but I always give them a wide berth. It's the swerving right on their crappy mountain bike with their saddle (and jeans) too low, hoodie wearing pricks that are the worst offenders

8. Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe Well-Known Member

are poor you greg - where you cycle to -from i head up from Merstham along the A23 every morning into London on a nice weather day i can see 60/70+ admitting more as i near London but at lest 10 or so into Purley and Croydon.

9. Becs

Becs Über Member

Somewhat patronising don't you think?

10. BentMikey

11. BentMikey

Patronising, no, but honest, certainly. If you're not close enough for them to pose danger to you, then there's no problem. ;)

12. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Guru

Horsham Town Centre to the west side of Haywards Heath. 6 this morning. And one of those was pushing her bike along the pavement whilst another was about 4-years-old.

13. Miquel In De Rain

Miquel In De Rain No Longer Posting

Well I came within inches of hitting one of these morons last week and just by sheer luck I wasn't involved in an accident.That's without looking out for the cabs and cars that cut me up because their owners just haven't got a clue or are just total cretins.

14. Becs

Becs Über Member

I'm not sure you can say that, with so many of us having near misses. If you look back all of the problems I encountered were people nearly running into me at junctions or coming up the inside from behind, so your "you're obviously too close" lecture is not relevant.

15. stowie

stowie Über Member

Not ranty at all!

This was really the bit I was responding to. I don't think cyclists are the majority of law breakers - not least because our numbers are small compared with the numbers of motor vehicles. If you were thinking that the proportion of law breakers to total users was greater with cyclists, I also think that this may well not be true - it is just that we take a number of quite serious law breaking activities that motorists do as simply "something that happens". 13% of London motorists are uninsured, so there is a quite large proportion to start with, add in those who regularly break speed limits plus those who use mobile phone, amber gamble, cross ASLs on red and we get a fairly hefty proportion of motorists. There are many road users who don't view breaking the 20mph limits, or even 30mph limits to be that serious - but it can and does cost lives. This has become so common place that it is accepted.

My second point was really that getting "our house in order" will matter not one jot with how we are treated on the road. I don't bully BMW drivers because one the other day was an idiot and cut me up. Cyclists are bullied on the roads because it people can and it is unfortunately deemed acceptable by a proportion of other road users. On the other hand, even if it were true that all motorists would suddenly treat us well if we all collectively behaved, this would be nigh on impossible as cycling is treated as a right on the roads in law and so anyone can do it without training. Unless we want to change this, we have to accept the vast range of competence that will be out there and try to educate by example etc. As long as there are idiots in the world there will be idiots on bicycles.

Finally, the interesting thing is that I sometimes feel crowded by cyclists when in central London. But the risk is really small - I wonder if it is because we are collectively used to motorised road traffic and their issues but, until relatively recently, have not had to negotiate with large numbers of cyclists as well. Maybe we are all collectively learning how to share the road with larger numbers of cyclists. For my part, I am always amazed by the procedure that happens at London lights. Those serious cyclists in clipless pedals spend a while faffing around when it goes green whilst us flat pedal users go past, only to be overtaken by the serious cyclists on the straight and then all reach the next red light for the procedure to happen all over again! I put it down to the tapestry of life.