Pro Transfers for 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tiago Machado moves from NetApp and signs for Katusha on 2 year deal

The Couch

Über Member
Sky announces the signing of Andrew Fenn, Leopold Konig, Lars Petter Nordhaug, Wout Poels and Nicolas Roche for 2015
Poels going to Sky seems to only require the official announcement any longer.
Strange thing is, he quoted earlier he wanted to look for other teams (then OPQS) "to be provided with more chances to chase his own success".
Since Poels is only about the 3rd in the "pecking order" of the new Sky people (even forgetting about the current potential Sky already has), now I definitely can't see him being allowed to chase his own success (more) with Sky

Tiago Machado moves from NetApp and signs for Katusha on 2 year deal
That gives them a 2nd Spilak :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Since Poels is only about the 3rd in the "pecking order" of the new Sky people (even forgetting about the current potential Sky already has), now I definitely can't see him being allowed to chase his own success (more) with Sky
They look like cannon fodder for Froome apart from Fenn which looks like a mercy signing

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Konig surprises me. He surely can't be cannon fodder.
Maybe not. Giro? Vuelta?
Who else have Sky got for GC in GTs?
Henao?

The Couch

Über Member
Maybe not. Giro? Vuelta?
Who else have Sky got for GC in GTs?
Henao?
Henao has indeed looked the past years like a potential GT podium candidate.
Roche has had a great Vuelta '13 result (and actually better overall placing than Konig).
Porte was supposed to be the Giro leader this year (although indeed we don't know if he can really be consistent for 3 weeks)
Kennaugh could be in the discussion as well
(And Poels has shown an ability to perform in GTs as well)

But let's face it, all of the above are top 10 (podium candidates at best) GT riders.
None of them (except perhaps the enigma - a healthy - Porte) are currently looking like GT winners.

The Couch

Über Member
Not a tranfer... but it's contract-related:
Bardet extends with Ag2r
Smart move from both sides:
- Peraud doesn't have many years ahead of him, so he is going to be their sole leader very quickly
- Betancur is for the moment too dangerous (i.e. inconsistent) to completely depend on and what better GT-leader to have as a French team then a Frenchmen

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Konig surprises me. He surely can't be cannon fodder.
Yes hope Roche will get a chance at Sky though

To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced either is really a GC contender in their own right. Roche Jr has never really lived up to his early promise/dad's reputation and I'd be surprised if he ever amounts to much more than he has achieved so far (not that his achievements are unimpressive, but more was expected of him). Maybe Konig has more potential to be tapped but I'm yet to be persuaded.

One thing Roche, Konig and Poels could all bring to the team that was notably missing from the Sky arsenal this year is stage wins.

Top Bottom