Pro Transfers for 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes they are. Despite what was said earlier, they have only signed a single African rider so far (Natnael Berhane from Europcar), and every one of their rather extensive list of signings has been white European. You can say what you like about experience leading talent but it's looking more and more like they are simply chasing immediate results like every other team. It wasn't supposed to be like that.
I've just done a quick tot up and at present the team is 16/7 African/Non-African.

It'll be interesting to do the same when the team is finalised for 2015

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've just done a quick tot up and at present the team is 16/7 African/Non-African.

With nine places in a GT team, that means they could have as many as TWO whole non-white African riders in their squad if they get a wildcard for the Giro again next year.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
OT but while we're on the subject of African cycling, something I meant to mention earlier but it slipped my mind...

I've been doing a bit of freelance work for a magazine called Forever Sports recently - contract published for the Sports Direct chain and sold in all their stores (http://foreversports.com). The current issue has a rather nice photo reportage feature about the Kenyan Riders team - there's not much to it, just some lovely pictures with captions, but it's a nice bit of exposure for them. It also includes a great pic of David Kinjah wearing one of Chris Froome's Sky jerseys.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
With nine places in a GT team, that means they could have as many as TWO whole non-white African riders in their squad if they get a wildcard for the Giro again next year.
I'm sure that makes sense but I got lost!

RobNewcastle

For Sky with those new signings, something like: Froome, Porte, Konig, Roche, Poels, Thomas, Stannard, Eisel, Kiryienka already looks to have a bit more punch to it. Either way it should mean complete non-performers like Lopez are out of the tour team.

For Sky with those new signings, something like: Froome, Porte, Konig, Roche, Poels, Thomas, Stannard, Eisel, Kiryienka already looks to have a bit more punch to it. Either way it should mean complete non-performers like Lopez are out of the tour team.
As long as they stay more injury free than this year

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I would put kennaugh in there too, being the British cycling champion and all that

RobNewcastle

I would put kennaugh in there too, being the British cycling champion and all that

Agreed, I just threw a first 9 together to be honest. Kennaugh seems to have something about him too, good bit of fight etc

Cunego leaving Lampre to lead Nippo-Vini Fantini.

I'm predicting he'll get "better" next year...

edit - I forgot to mention, he's also going to University to study "sports science" so I'm imagining he'll be "really good", maybe even "Horner good"

Last edited:
Top Bottom