Pro Transfers for 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Slagter's going to Garmin. That's quite a signing for them.

The Couch

Über Member
IAM making a bit of a splash it seems:

Chavanel seems to be going - and taking Jerome Pineau with him - (and they are also trying to attract Kevin Hulsmans as helper for the Spring Classics)
Matthias Frank also has a deal

Not the biggest of names, but clever deals in my opinion... if they can pull it all of, they should have a better year next year

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Interesting that Chavanel and Frank would go to a non-World Tour team... unless they know something we don't?

I suppose it makes it more likely that IAM will get invited to the GTs next year, but it's a bit of a gamble.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
Interesting that Chavanel and Frank would go to a non-World Tour team... unless they know something we don't?

I suppose it makes it more likely that IAM will get invited to the GTs next year, but it's a bit of a gamble.
So weren't a couple of teams asked to apply for World Tour status given the exit of Euskaltel-Euskadi & Vaconsoleil ?
I think there is 1 World Tour spot left so for GTs it would be slightly less of a gamble, in particular for IAM with a few prominent French riders. Maybe they have had conversations with ASO re. the TdF

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I forgot about Vacansoleil... so yes, there is a World Tour place up for grabs.

IAM will undoubtedly be a strong contender for it. Unless the UCI decide they need an African or South American team on the roster and go for MTN-Qhubeka or Colombia Coldeportes...

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
I forgot about Vacansoleil... so yes, there is a World Tour place up for grabs.

IAM will undoubtedly be a strong contender for it.
Oh yes but I didn't make myself clear I guess - I think I heard that a few teams like Europcar & IAM had been asked to apply for World Tour status but essentially declined because they were not able/willing to grow into the World Tour commitments. Their operational model is based upon wild card entries to a few top level races where their sponsors care and full World Tour status is not so attractive by comparison.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Their operational model is based upon wild card entries to a few top level races where their sponsors care and full World Tour status is not so attractive by comparison.

Fair point. I can certainly see how that would apply to Europcar. IAM's latest signings hint at greater ambition though...

The Couch

Über Member
Fair point. I can certainly see how that would apply to Europcar. IAM's latest signings hint at greater ambition though...
Maybe they're just hoping to get some more invitations (to the smaller Tours and 1-day races) but aren't interested in the Grand Tours

Anyway, if they can get Haussler back to a proper level, they should at least have a good duo-punch for next year Spring Classics
And both Frank and Chavanel could win/challenge some small Tours

It says ''investment funds'' under their logo.
So it does, I missed that the first time.

And while I was searching for the missed sponsor business, I note they have a 7 million budget and on their launch news page it says they had pretensions to be a World Tour Team. Clearly they think they can get on the circuit then.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Chavanel told l'Equipe that he wasn't happy always being 2nd string as the team organised itself around Cavendish. Why not join a growing team as a leader? He says he's looking forward to being leader in the Belgian classics.

Top Bottom