Psychometric Tests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Just taken a psychometric test prior to a job interview next week.....

Never done one of these before and although reading up on them beforehand to see what they're about it's tricky not to try and think what they were trying to get out of each question, tried to be honest and not let any second guessing influence my answers.

Given the seemingly random sets of questions can't really see what they were after or what, from my answers, they will then present to the potential employer. There must be some science behind this sort of thing.

Anyone got any experience of these test from either side - interviewer or interviewee?

And if you are in the know - are they for real or just a load of old tosh?!!!

Hugo15

Über Member
As an interviewer we once gave a job to a guy whos test said that he couldn't plan a pi$$ up in a brewery. In his interview he had had said how good he was at planing and organising. Guess what..... his planning and organisation was terrible. We decided that the interview was more reliable than the tests.............. oh how wrong were we.

I have done the Myers Briggs tests a couple of times. Always comes out the same. I find them a useful insight to what peoples preferences are.

gavintc

Guru
My wife is an Management Trainer and she is quite sold on the Myers Briggs tests. She knows from experience that they are not perfect, but you get a better insight than using other methods.

yello

I reckon I'd not bother with any interview that used these tests... and so I wouldn't get the job!

I remember getting to a first interview and was asked to fill out an 'employment application', all the stuff on it was already on my cv for them to see. I politely told the secretary that I wasn't interested!

So I reckon a psychometric test would only reveal what I have known all along... that I have an attitude problem!

The Fleet Driver Risk Index is a ppyschometric test that has been used by several large fleet companies (Arriva for an example) to identify drivers who have a propensity for taking risks whilst driving. These are than given training to address these issues with a dramatic decrease in acidents!

Wolf04

gavintc said:
My wife is an Management Trainer and she is quite sold on the Myers Briggs tests. She knows from experience that they are not perfect, but you get a better insight than using other methods.

It's also very useful in resolving office conflicts caused by personality type clashes.

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
A plane is travelling at 450mph and can descend at a rate of 1500ft per minute.

If the plane is currently at the height of 33,000ft and needs to descend to 15000ft what distance will the plane travel while descending?

edit:don't use a calculator!

Bloody hell I didnt want the job anyway :evil:

Danny

Legendary Member
I've been tested and was impressed that it came up with a pretty accurate picture of me. The same applies to other people I know who have been tested.

I've also talked to recruitment people about how they use the findings from the tests. They would never make a decision solely on the basis of the tests, but would use them to back up impressions of candidates gained in interview. Or sometimes where the results of the tests are at complete odds with the answers being given in an interview this should ring alarm bells, and tell the interviewers to probe more closely.

Cranky

I'm fairly sure that I wouldn't want any job that regarded psychometric tests as important.

This also contributes to the evidence that - as I've realised for some time now - I'm probably unemployable.

purpleR

Guru
User3143 said:

If the plane is currently at the height of 33,000ft and needs to descend to 15000ft what distance will the plane travel while descending?

90 miles? ;)

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
User3143 said:

90 miles?

yello

Cranky said:
I'm fairly sure that I wouldn't want any job that regarded psychometric tests as important.

This also contributes to the evidence that - as I've realised for some time now - I'm probably unemployable.

Cranky, you and me both!

gbb

Legendary Member
What was this then ?
I once applied for a job and had to sit a 1 hour'ish series of papers (about 20) which consisted of amongst other things i cant remember now, simple (and not so simple) mathematical questions, various lists of about 6 names and addresses which had subtle spelling differences..you had to identify the same ones. It sounds simple, but when you're working under pressure, you have to really concentrate...the differences were really subtle.
There were also pages with random 'squiggles' on them...and you had to form a picture from a part of that page. One of them, i instantly saw a hangmans jib. I dismissed that option and found something else instead...i did wonder if that told them something about your character.

I did get offered the job. I'd have loved to know just what it all told them.

Top Bottom