Tests to find your genetic makeup/heritage. Are the sellers/testers genuine, or will they just tell you anything to get money off you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Once you’ve had it tested on say Ancestry.co.uk you can upload the file to any or all of the various sites. The results I got back from two sites were broadly similar but one of the two (My heritage) brought up finer detail and more areas of the World. Findmypast put me down as 100% Great Britain and Ireland but of course the Irish and British are a mix of Celts Angles Saxons Romans Scandinavian etc. so I wasn’t impressed with the lack of fine tuning shown in the other two - Ancestry and MyHeritage.
What was the cost of uploading to other sites?

Lee_M

Guru
As most of England above the Humber was Danelaw ie Viking you’ll almost certainly be part Viking.

Yep, that's why I said it. 🤣

My partner bought me one from a US company. I keep getting emails about 3rd and 4th cousins from America. Very little from UK or Europe.

However that doesn't phase me. If the cousin had the surname of my grandad or his grandparents i take notice as he was American all his life.

It picked up English and Welsh, grouped together it's that accurate! Also Swedish and American. There was a Mediterranean minor genetic link. Rumours are my gran had Spanish blood way back.

Doesn't that presuppose that every conception was legitimate?

False paternity rates are supposed to be at about 5% in the general population. It's about 15% in royalty.

Anyone know if familial similarities in looks is reliable in confirming paternity? If so does old wheels have any similarities to his 1300s ancestor?

classic33

Leg End Member
False paternity rates are supposed to be at about 5% in the general population. It's about 15% in royalty.

Anyone know if familial similarities in looks is reliable in confirming paternity? If so does old wheels have any similarities to his 1300s ancestor?
I know I look nothing like my ancestor buried in Killaloe. He was thinner in the face, had a light beard and dark hair. Maybe it was the armour being worn in the painting, but he looked heavier than me.

I look a bit like my uncle and cousin (hair apparently as pointed out to me when i reached 50), paternal grandad when we were both 21 and maternal granddad's father (spitting image to his photo when he was married as a teenager I think). I only saw these photos when I was early 20s. Until then I still held out that I was adopted! :laugh:

As to genetics, I had mostly English and Welsh. App they can't separate them genetically at the company who tested me. I had a very small bit of Scots/Irish, also indistinguishable. About 10% Swedishn or other scandinavian, my great or two great grandparents were Swedish immigrants who sailed from Gothenburg. Explains how that n city is one of the few cities I have felt at home in even though it n was just two day visit! A 1 or 2% Mediterranean. I think island like corsica or sardinia. Although I don't believe it, Spanish ancestor is a family rumour though.

Imho I think the tech isn't accurate enough at the cost bracket these companies charge. I think they only give very broad brush ancestries. Pinch of salt time.

Drago

Legendary Member
As most of England above the Humber was Danelaw ie Viking you’ll almost certainly be part Viking.

Down as far as Watling Street in what is now South Northants, even. I'm about 5 miles inside the olde boundary.

Top Bottom