Puncture repair... road side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My only advice is to get all three tyre levers under the bead before levering them down to hook on the spokes. If you lever one down and then try and get the neighbouring one under the bead, you often won't have enough slack to push it in.

A lesson from the weekend. That piece of flint caused me three Punctures i checked the tyre after each, i only found it once the broom wagon had collected me from the roadside and i was at home with my glasses on View attachment 87982

Which reminds me:

Rule no 11: Always carry glasses that allows you to see. No use having fancy expensive Oakleys if you can't see a piece of flint.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I must have at least ten tubes that are all ready to be repaired in the comfort of home but I just cant be bothered to do it .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I use my old tube for swimming exercises. Well at least I have just remembered why I kept them.
Why don't you just get yourself some of these ....

th

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

Great stuff! thanks everyone. Levers (blue ones, I will find them), small pump (ordered a rocket pump) and self sticky patches, Skabs I guess?. All sounds plausible. Glad no one said, get the latest CO2 thingymabob, with laser hyperdrive technology, interfaced with the cloud synaptic carbo wotsitma-called!

vickster

Legendary Member
Practice using the mini pump in the comfort of your own home, I have never managed to get air into my tyres with one of those ones. Get lezyne self adhesive patches

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If it's dry and warm and I fancy giving my legs a rest, then I'll go for the full repair kit option if possible. @Yellow Saddle 's covered that well, though I'm a one spare tube rider and, touch wood, it's never let me down..... A bus shelter might convince me to go for the repair in default British weather. Otherwise, it's swap for a new tube and repair a batch in front of the TV. There are a lot of slack moments if you are watching a stage race. Ideal time to get glue sniffing.

screenman

Legendary Member
All my bikes carry a CO2 pump, why would you not?

C, actually we use them to tie our feet together when swimming, nothing like making life hard for yourself.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Practice using the mini pump in the comfort of your own home, I have never managed to get air into my tyres with one of those ones. Get lezyne self adhesive patches

+1 to Lezyne patches, v good, skabs are decent enough too.

Obvious question (sorry), you have got the pump nozzle set up for the right valve type? My pocket rocket is dead easy to fit, lock and pump with.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He's making an awful meal of that, and who carries a track pump on a ride?
I've been carrying a mini track pump on rides for ages but yes, he's not demonstrating speed of fix there!

When conditions are bad, I use a sealant canister. Aldi are selling one in their sale but I've not tried that one.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 to Lezyne patches, v good, skabs are decent enough too.

Obvious question (sorry), you have got the pump nozzle set up for the right valve type? My pocket rocket is dead easy to fit, lock and pump with.
Don't know, think it was faulty, probably not helped by being battered in the trunk bag. I now have a much prettier lezyne pump

Top Bottom