Puncture repair... road side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Waste? Do you have solar powered internet^_^ Do you have a rainwater harvesting system, I do the latter.

As it happens in 4,000+ miles many off road I haves used one canister.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
He's making an awful meal of that, and who carries a track pump on a ride?

Tony.
Me, when I know I might have to change a few inners on a beginner's ride :biggrin:
This was my favorite before it died, got similar, a bit slimmer, now.
I have seen Sky ride leaders with a full size track pump in their panniers when on beginners led rides.

outlash

also available in orange
Me, when I know I might have to change a few inners on a beginner's ride :biggrin:
This was my favorite before it died, got similar, a bit slimmer, now.
I have seen Sky ride leaders with a full size track pump in their panniers when on beginners led rides.

But in the video, he's got a full size one! And he's faffing a fair bit too... I carry a mini pump (this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/airwave-motion-floor-mount-mini-pump-2015/rp-prod126133), it does all of my bikes. Strap it to the top tube, job done :smile:.

Tony.

screenman

Legendary Member
But no matter what the pump, the basic idea of patching a tube without removing the wheel is sound.

I do not get that, removing the wheel should take less than a minute even using spammers, what benefit could there be In making things harder.

If you are reading this and are worried about removing and refitting a wheel ask somebody to show you how.

If you live close to me, drop me a line and pop around and I will show you how, I am sure many on here will make the same offer.

Tim Hall

I do not get that, removing the wheel should take less than a minute even using spammers, what benefit could there be In making things harder.

If you are reading this and are worried about removing and refitting a wheel ask somebody to show you how.

If you live close to me, drop me a line and pop around and I will show you how, I am sure many on here will make the same offer.
Matey in the video was working on a hub geared bike, which adds a wee bit of complication. Not a show stopper for sure, but not as straight forward as a derailleur equipped bike.

outlash

also available in orange
Pat, if anyone is carrying around a full size track pump on a ride, they really need to sort it out! There are smaller, lighter alternatives as we've discussed ;).

Matey in the video was working on a hub geared bike, which adds a wee bit of complication. Not a show stopper for sure, but not as straight forward as a derailleur equipped bike.

Indeed, if anyone can get the back wheel off my Day One in the same time it takes as one of my deurailleur'd QR 'd bikes then by all means, pop over.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Yep, done it, pissy wet morning, get to work deadline, rear wheel puncture. As the hissy noise was away from the valve, the quickest option was unseat the tyre from the rim, get the tube out, patch it, re-rim the tyre and go. That bike was geared but didn't have quick release.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Get a pump with a flexible hose. If you are in a hurry, a fixed head one will knacker the valve if you get impatient and it's raining/cold/late.

It will be all three of the above, I triple-guarantee it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How is it any harder to omit two steps (removing and refitting the wheel), not need to balance a bike that has a wheel removed and not need to adjust the chain tension or hub gear cable? Other than that, you're doing steps that you have to do anyway to patch a tube.

I can remove/refit the wheel. I just don't see the point in making the job harder if I don't need to. Oh and its annoyingly easy to strip the threads on some hub gear axle nuts.

Last edited:

Colnago Master

C, actually we use them to tie our feet together when swimming, nothing like making life hard for yourself.[/QUOTE]

Once upon a time you just kept your legs together

Top Bottom