RATS!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We had rats. In the hedge between us and next door. We put poison down for them. They ate it.
I went out one sunday after training to see a rat that was alive, but not moving tooked up by a step.
I wasnt going to let it get away, so my plan was to put the spade on its neck and push down. Just as ai touched it, it turned and squeeled then tried to move off. It didnt get far, i took a step back and slammed the back of the spade down onto it.
One less rat, and infact now, theres no more rats in the garden. Or at least, we havent seen any since i killed the big one.:wahhey:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Bloodyhell Joe! thanks for the details.

If they had took the poison, no need for the nasty kill. Plus they take it back to the nest anyway.

Glue boards are vile things also.

Joe24

snapper_37 said:
Bloodyhell Joe! thanks for the details.

If they had took the poison, no need for the nasty kill. Plus they take it back to the nest anyway.

Glue boards are vile things also.

This one was dieing slowly, probably in lots of. I went out and i would of expected it to run, but it did, i even nudged it with the spade and it didnt run. And when it did go to crawl off, it would of just gone back to dieing slowly.
The poison doesnt kill them instantly, or even that quickly. Poison would of already been taken back to the nest aswell.
There was some more detail i missed out.
My mum asked if it was dead, i think the blood coming out from its nose, and it not moving ment it was dead.
I did have a good laugh saying that if it was, then it was waiting in the bin for her. And, rats can jump high, so if she opened the bin up, it would see the light and jump for it, and go straight at her.
She was abit scared of the bin for abit, and what didnt help was i moved the bag in the bin, so she was paranoid it was still alive:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No ratty boys near us = 3 x cats.... - we have had the odd field mouse come home (alive - i.e. in back garden running about - and one in the house for a day.... wondered why one cat was stalking the TV cabinet out - my son caught it and put it outside....)

But the 'mouser' doesn't have any teeth these days, so we get nothing - the other two are useless.........

Still no rats - new'ish estate (14 years old) and no where near any shops/takeaways....

Joe24

My GF's dad catches them in traps. To kill them he either stabs them with a pitch fork, or tips a load of boiling water over them. Apparently they are petty noisy when you tip boiling water on them.

Joe24

fossyant said:
Thanks Joe......xx(..CHEERS xx(xx(xx(xx(xx(xx(

No problem:laugh::wacko:
Vermin, hate the things.
My auntie offered to lend us her air rifle. But a mate said it wouldnt do the job, what we actually needed was his shot gun:eek:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Do you not just call in the council? We had one in our garden ... they came put down the poison and then it went. (This is a few years ago). The council don't seem to be so keen on dealing with the rats with bushy tails ... we have them in the attic.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Joe24 said:
My GF's dad catches them in traps. To kill them he either stabs them with a pitch fork, or tips a load of boiling water over them. Apparently they are petty noisy when you tip boiling water on them.

How cruel... :ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
"If it's pebbledash or even plain brick then the answer is: YES!"

No, it's smooth painted masonery (stone).

Not that I'd be all that bothered by a rat appearing on my window sill. It could live in my window box, with the ladybird-on-a-bicycle windmill.

I do hope Joe's GF's dad has a nasty scalding accident one day, and we can see how much noise he makes. What a bastard thing to do. Kill them cleanly if you must.

grhm

Veteran
If your going to put poison down, warn any neighbours who have cats. We had mice last summer in our shed, and getting into the kitchen. Put poison down under the kitchen cupboards and in the locked shed. Tried using traps too.

Mice slowly disappeared. Job done:thumbsup:. But speaking to our neighbour recently, there 2 cats were very ill for about a month over the summer:ohmy::blush:. Fortunately it not caused any issues - but if theres a next time we'll warn them first.

GavinB

Joe24 said:
or tips a load of boiling water over them. Apparently they are petty noisy when you tip boiling water on them.

That's pathetic and disgusting.

The person who did this should be ashamed of themselves, in fact... isn't killing them this way illegal? I am sure the RSPCA would be interested.

Either way, if you're going to kill an animal... do it the right way and kill it humanely. Pouring boiling water over a live rat is a sick and horrible act, and those who condone such an act should stick their heads in boiling water and see how it feels like!! :ohmy:

Joe24

The council didnt want to know about the rats we had because they werent in the house. We've had them before.
Who here has tipped salt onto slugs? Thats animal cruelty on how they die.
And you do realise how poison kills rats dont you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_poison
They basilcly die slowly, from their blood not clotting. So they slowly bleed to death. So obviously, they are going to be in pain for days untill they do die.
So i hope the oens that have moaned about killing rats slowly, will be moaning about using poison on rats, or even when companies test products on rats. And that you dont have any products that have been tested on rats or by companies that test on animals because they will cause rats harm.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've never put salt on a slug, and I've never poisoned a rat, and I know how the poison works. The only thing I ever poison is the occasional wasp with a can of spray if I can;t get it to fly out of the window.

Boiling water is just horrible and pretty cowardly. Do it quickly, with a spade, or a decent trap.

Joe24

Arch said:
I've never put salt on a slug, and I've never poisoned a rat, and I know how the poison works. The only thing I ever poison is the occasional wasp with a can of spray if I can;t get it to fly out of the window.

Boiling water is just horrible and pretty cowardly. Do it quickly, with a spade, or a decent trap.

You make me sick!!
We need wasps and bees, and you go and kill them? Shame on you!!!

Top Bottom