recce ride to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well that was an adventure! Quite the most adventurous ride I've had in a long time...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
dellzeqq said:
well that was an adventure! Quite the most adventurous ride I've had in a long time...

no way Dell, you don't get away with that, do I have to resort to death threats again?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I was just having my breakfast...

It was a dark night. No moon. Overcast. The air was thick with moisture. The tarmac was waterlogged. We went down roads that were narrow, had no white lines and were completely overshadowed by trees - for mile after mile after mile. The last 24 miles took about 2 hrs 10 and we were pushing it - Davy just went off the edge of the road on a downhill and cartwheeled on to the grass - he just couldn't see. When I was ahead I just looked for stuff at each side and steered for the middle. When Davy was ahead I just followed the reflection of his rear light on the tarmac. There were ups, downs, bends, deer jumping in front of us...great stuff.

There's a one in seven downhill which we did in bottom gear and on the brakes - because, on the other side of the river, there was a one in seven up hill covered in water. I've just looked at my brake blocks - they're gone. And the rears were only a couple of weeks old.

So we have to think this through - are we going to just head for the B2036, or will dry roads and moonlight make it a sensible thing to do?

And this, by the way, was without the Lamb's Green diversion with its two metre wide roads, potholes and loose stuff - Lonesome Lane was dark enough, and, by the time we got to Horley any thought of doing the Gatwick to Faygate section on anything other than the dual carriageways was well and truly offed.

redjedi

Über Member
Davy just went off the edge of the road on a downhill and cartwheeled on to the grass

He didn't see more cheerleaders did he? :tongue:

Sounds eventfull and I hope your bike is ok Davy.......and you as well :blush:

1 in 7 downhill sounds like fun, 1 in 7 uphill definately does not :tongue:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
dellzeqq said:
we went down the one side slower than we went up the other side

Strange I was under the impression that it wasn't possible to move slower than Davy going uphill?

Thanks for the report, having reviewed in detail we'll leave it up to you as usual:biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
dellzeqq said:
I was just having my breakfast...

It was a dark night. No moon. Overcast. .....

:rolleyes::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

I was thinking of leaving my big light at home for the 27th, but now I'm not sure. Was it just a lack of Wattage or was the moisture in the air whiting everything out?

mike e

I am so liking the sound of the new adventurous route + with lots of people the road might end up been lit a little better. It's the last ride of the 2009 season so it only seems right to go out with a bang, also we shouldn't make the entire decision on whether to ride it or not based on Davy's bike handling skills...:rolleyes:

He'll no doubt be struggling to concentrate anyway, too busy "chatting" to the +4's...:wacko:

redjedi

Über Member
mike e said:
I am so liking the sound of the new adventurous route + with lots of people the road might end up been lit a little better. It's the last ride of the 2009 season so it only seems right to go out with a bang, also we shouldn't make the entire decision on whether to ride it or not based on Davy's bike handling skills...;)

He'll no doubt be struggling to concentrate anyway, too busy "chatting" to the +4's...:biggrin:

Is that why he crashed last night? Practising his lines?

And if that fails going for the sympathy vote
:biggrin:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bollo said:
;):tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

I was thinking of leaving my big light at home for the 27th, but now I'm not sure. Was it just a lack of Wattage or was the moisture in the air whiting everything out?
I had two Cateye EL-530s. It was the first time they'd been found wanting

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
wey hey!

finally home!

well, i must admit that was an excellant ride, really was! hard work, determination, grit n skill all came into what would say has been one of my favourite rides! even when i decided to have a mud bath i found it fun! yes, i am bruised battered n bloody but it hasn't dampened my spirit at all!

can't wait now for the real thing!

for now, am off too bed, 125 very hard miles has taken it out of me and my poor zebra!

Top Bottom