Recommend a shower drain unblocker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's always been slow to drain the shower water. About every two weeks I put about half a pint of bleach down it when it's dry then leave it for a good 12 hours. This seems to work but after a few showers the water again slows down going down the drain. I've used caustic soda to unblock drains, but it seems to harden when mixed with water and as you know you have to be very careful with it. Plus I don't see it for sale in shops anymore. From personal experience what would you recommend? 🤔

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How are you possibly blocking shower pipework that quickly? :wacko: Are you shearing sheep in the shower! :laugh:

I would find the true cause of the problem and get that fixed rather than using chemical warfare on it.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I would find the true cause of the problem and get that fixed rather than using chemical warfare on it.
I hadn't lived in a home with a shower until 5 years ago. I was a 'bath fan', but I haven't had a bath now for over 4 years. I must say that showers are quite filthy. Black gunk seems to build up in them. Even if my drain isn't blocked I spray around the shower with bleach spray every now and then to get rid of it.

AndyRM

XOXO
What on earth are you putting down the drain?

It sounds like there's something blocking the u-bend so water is pooling there.

You can get caustic soda from just about diy store. For a more natural approach you can use a combination of bicarb, lemon juice and vinegar.

The black stuff is caused by moisture, just wipe the shower down when you're finished and you'll be fine.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar.
Pour boiling water into the drain. Add a cup of bicarb. Leave for 10 minutes. Add a cup of vinegar. Leave another 10 minutes. Pour more boiling water into the drain.

Edited to add: Don't inhale the vapours given off when the vinegar is added to the bicarb.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks, but who wipes a shower down after use? 🤔 :smile:
We shower with the bathroom window slightly open to avoid condensation on the bathroom walls, wipe the shower down with Tesco Daily Shower Cleaner,* rinse off and then clear the excess water with one of those bladed things window cleaners** use. Takes about three minutes and prevents black mould building up which can get in your drain and block it.

If you're washing the dog in the shower it's no wonder it gets blocked.

Aldi do a very good shower drain unblocking product

* Others available but this is the best we've found.

** You were a window cleaner I believe?

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Thanks, but who wipes a shower down after use? 🤔 :smile:
Everyone but you, it seems!
If you're getting mildew and mould in your shower it sounds like it needs more ventilation. How long are you spending in the shower? 3 minutes is supposed to be the ideal but I bet most people take a lot longer than that. Otherwise, as above, shower cleaner, squeegee, cloth. As for the drain, again, as above.

Top Bottom