Recommend a shower drain unblocker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There should surely be a trap you can get at in the floor of the shower. Undo a couple of screws and lift out a sediment filter and clean before replacing.
A least that is what my shower has anyway.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Accy
Just a thought but do you shower while wearing your deer stalker or harris tweed jacket because that won't help:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Thanks for the helpful replies, but I just cannot wipe my shower down. Seriously I don't want to fall or lose my grip. Believe it or not buying an unblocker has been on my mind all day, but when I got to the supermarket I couldn't remember what i had to buy, so I've come away without an unblocker!:headshake:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just cannot wipe my shower down. Seriously I don't want to fall or lose my grip.
Have you got an anti-slip shower mat?

I have a big walk-in shower here. The very first time I used it I slipped and almost fell through its glass side. I bought a couple of mats which have suckers on the underside to stick them to the floor of the shower. No problems since.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have you got an anti-slip shower mat?

I have a big walk-in shower here. The very first time I used it I slipped and almost fell through its glass side. I bought a couple of mats which have suckers on the underside to stick them to the floor of the shower. No problems since.
I have, but I once lent on my shower's door and it gave way meaning i fell into the tiled wall. :unsure:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Buy some sodium hydroxide, aka caustic soda, on Ebay (about £5 for a kilo of crystals if you look hard). Buy it in a plastic container, NOT a bag.
Fill a one litre kitchen measuring jug, either glass or plastic, three quarters full of warm water and gradually add some of the sodium hydroxide one large tablespoon at a time. As you do so, stir the mixture with a non-metallic spoon or stick. I just continue to add more until it looks like additional crystals will not dissolve. The mixture will get very hot and will fizz so wear some eye protection, gloves and old clothes. The solution will not take any prisoners.

Get the grating off the shower trap and feed a thin, rolled-up kitchen sponge mat into the trap to suck up as much excess water as possible. Repeat until you can't get any more water out. Then pour about a half of the lethal solution down the plug-hole and leave it for 45 minutes. Rinse, bail it out again with the sponge mat, and repeat. It'll work.

Don't spill any of the liquid on anything.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't suppose soap helps as it's quite 'fatty' isn't it? 🤔 I also use quite a lot of E45 which is quite greasy, which again won't help.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Something that's always puzzled me is what's that white curved thing in the drain? 🤔

1639598850657.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If in the supermarket, just look for sink unblocker. That's all you need. Leave it overnight if you can.

I understand about not wiping the shower due to a falls risk - you could use a bit of shower spray on the tiles. Bleach works well on the edges if it's going a bit black - just leave it on for a while.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If in the supermarket, just look for sink unblocker. That's all you need. Leave it overnight if you can.

I understand about not wiping the shower due to a falls risk - you could use a bit of shower spray on the tiles. Bleach works well on the edges if it's going a bit black - just leave it on for a while.
I have a 'home made' roughly 60/40 water/bleach spray that I spray about once a fortnight on the skuzzy black mold bits. I also soak the bottom half of the shower curtain once a month in a 50/50 water/bleach bucket of water to get rid of the mold that appears on the curtain.

Top Bottom