Recommendation for front light for brazed on bolt on forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbine

I need a new front light for my MTB. I have a brazed hex/Allen bolt half way up the fork on the outside that I would prefer to mount it on. So, I'm after something to go on this.I don't want anything too expensive or complicated and prefer something that I don't have to remove each time I park my bike. Bolt on/anti-theft would be ideal.

I want a battery lamp, poss LED with a constant light - or at least the facility to select a constant beam. Any ideas please?

Tim Hall

Assuming the hex bolt is at right angles to the direction of travel, I'd replace it with a longer one which would hold a suitable piece of tube or dowel in position. The fit a battery powered LED light with a handlebar clamp to that.

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Thanks. Sounds like a good idea. I'm a plumber, I'm sure I will have a suitable bit of copper pipe I can put on a longer hex bolt.

There are two types of braze on, one for racks and one for lights (the latter usually in older forks)

The latter used to have small ridges to prevent the mount rotating

This can be a problem with mounting to a rack braze on

Use a file to create a recess that fits to the fork to prevent this

andrew_s

Legendary Member
This is a commercial version of what Tim suggests: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/origin8-eyelet-stub-light-mount-prod36265/
It's a safe enough position so long as the light remains inside a line joining the end of the handlebar and the bottom of the wheel.

The general problem with battery lights is that they are designed to be easy to detach from the bike, so you can change the batteries or take the light inside for charging. It's generally only dynamo lights that are bolt-on and hard to pinch.

Top Bottom