England : Derbyshire Recommended routes from Sheffield into the Peak District?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all.

I'm returning to Sheffield (where I was a student some years ago) to do some work this week. I'll have my road bike and few mornings when I can sneak off for early sorties.

Could any locals recommend good circular routes out of the city and through the Peaks? I'll be staying in Pitsmoor. Owing to time constraints and general lameness on hills (I'm from Norfolk) I'm just looking for 50-75km at the moment.

Many thanks!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hello all.

I'm returning to Sheffield (where I was a student some years ago) to do some work this week. I'll have my road bike and few mornings when I can sneak off for early sorties.

Could any locals recommend good circular routes out of the city and through the Peaks? I'll be staying in Pitsmoor. Owing to time constraints and general lameness on hills (I'm from Norfolk) I'm just looking for 50-75km at the moment.

Many thanks!

I'm not familiar with Pitsmoor but very familiar with the Peak District. Having found your location on Google Maps there is some great cycling on your doorstep so long as you can come to love the hills. Popular route out of Sheffield is via Rivelin Road. From there you have two good options; one is to take the right to Strines (Mortimer Road) and the other is left to Bamford. After Mortimer Road there are a multitude of small roads to go a bit further north towards Penistone from which you can loop back round towards Sheffield. The other route via Bamford lets you return to Sheffield via Hathersage which would be a short loop or you can go via Bradwell, after which there are loads of small roads back to Sheffield.
Check out Abney on Google Maps, that is a great small road out of Hathersage which links to Bradwell

If in doubt just follow your nose, there are dozens of great rides in your area but they are all 100ft climbing per mile so expect to do 3000-5000ft of climbing on your rides

OP
OP
jamesontheroad
Thanks nickyboy. I'd plotted something not dissimilar on Strava, not least because a few days ago I saw a wonderful pic on Twitter of the beautiful purple gorse / heather in the Strines Valley.

I'll have a little exploration and report back. I can be found on Strava with the same username, so the trip will appear there in the next few days.

Thanks!

Learnincurve

Allow me to suggest something different, as you are only in town for a week then you can cut out a lot of pain and annoying roads and get the transpennine express stopping train from platform 2c at 14 mins past the hour. Outside of rush hour you can fit about 8 bikes on it, not usually that many unless it's a weekend though.

You have three excellent options on that route Bamford, Hope and Edale. Grindleford is a good starting point if you want breakfast before you set off.
If it were me I would get off at one of these stations, go on a circular route round the peaks, or Ladybower/Derwent, and ride back.

RhythMick

Über Member
Hello all.

Many thanks!
Don't stay in Pitsmoor

OP
OP
jamesontheroad
To be fair - the roads are still horrid. I'll post a pic later. Getting to the end of the street is like Paris-Roubaix only not as smooth.

Top Bottom