Richard Branson "almost dies"..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
$5bn isn't just "a different amount of money" - for an individual to hold that kind of fortune is obscene and morally unjustifiable.

I'd rather save my sympathy for someone who deserves it.
I see.

How much should he earn then for you to have sympathy?

If money is the only condition that you apply, do you feel the same about people who earn obscenely less than you?

Drago

Legendary Member
Or even the thousands that get a good wage off of Virgin.
Ah, forgive me. All is now clear. Because this multi billionaire pays some people a decent wage its completely justifiable morally that he pays legions of others - often those with the most difficult jobs and the most unsocial hours - the minimum he can lawfully get away with paying them. Glad you cleared that up for us.

screenman

Legendary Member
Ah, forgive me. All is now clear. Because this multi billionaire pays some people a decent wage its completely justifiable morally that he pays legions of others - often those with the most difficult jobs and the most unsocial hours - the minimum he can lawfully get away with paying them. Glad you cleared that up for us.

If you go back to who cares, then I was stating that some would, even those on minimum wage. Now minimum wage and who should get it that could be a topic.

I see.

How much should he earn then for you to have sympathy?

If money is the only condition that you apply, do you feel the same about people who earn obscenely less than you?

Oh don't be silly jonny jeez.
There is nothing finer than a middle class air of superiority.

Billy Connolly summed it up perfectly

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Surely it is a great British tradition to poke fun at rich, pompous and self important types when something unfortunate happens to them. Especially when they splash it all over the media.
You are so right.

Just like it was traditional to not allow women the vote, or black people to travel on the bus with white folk.

Why change attitudes when its just folk avin a larf, they dont mean any harm

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Surely it is a great British tradition to poke fun at rich, pompous and self important types when something unfortunate happens to them. Especially when they splash it all over the media.
Just for clarity, I'm mindful that you will think me unfair for picking on your point.(I don't mean to be harsh)

Go ahead and poke fun for pomposity and self importance, even choice of beer.

But please not just because they earn more

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
He is a Human being.
Does that count ?

He's not just a human being though, is he? Nor is he just a 66yo man. He's Richard effing Branson. You can't take that fact out of the equation. It's nonsense.

What a bizarre non-sequitur.

First off, no, money is not the only condition I apply when deciding who deserves my sympathy. I'm talking about a specific individual, not stating a general principle.

Secondly, the fact that he has been able to amass such abhorrent amounts of personal wealth while there millions in the world living in extreme poverty is what I find so disgusting about him.

And I still don't understand why you (and others) feel the need to defend him against the cheap jibes of some inconsequential twerps on the internet.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Maybe a lot of the people working for Virgin. A company that he has by using whatever advertising available has helped to make a world wide name, a clever bloke in many ways.
Virgin isn't a company, it's a brand. Many of the "Virgin" companies were so unsuccessful that Branson had to sell them at a massive loss to avoid damaging the overall brand. Some of the Virgin companies have simply folded - when was the last time you saw a Virgin megastore or something sold by Virgin money?

[edit]
Take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom