Richard Branson "almost dies"..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What a bizarre non-sequitur.

First off, no, money is not the only condition I apply when deciding who deserves my sympathy. I'm talking about a specific individual, not stating a general principle.

Secondly, the fact that he has been able to amass such abhorrent amounts of personal wealth while there millions in the world living in extreme poverty is what I find so disgusting about him.

And I still don't understand why you (and others) feel the need to defend him against the cheap jibes of some inconsequential twerps on the internet.

and yet you chose to say this
$5bn isn't just "a different amount of money" - for an individual to hold that kind of fortune is obscene and morally unjustifiable.

I'd rather save my sympathy for someone who deserves it.

I don't see mentioning any other conditions here, just money.

so, to be clear, do you want to now change this argument. Are you now saying that its not about his wealth, its how he made his wealth. Listen, you might think I'm being facetious here, I'm not...this is the difference in the point that you and a few others (thankfully not many) are missing.

Oh and think again. I don't think anyone is defending Richard Branson in this thread, I know for sure I'm not. I am defending the principle of not simply disliking someone because they earn a certain amount of money.

how do you feel about Elon Musk, and his 12.5bn or perhaps James Dyson and his Modest 4.9bn?

Drago

Legendary Member
Ellen Musk isn't at least using his own vast wealth to pursue a philanthropic vision of sustainable energy and transport on Earth, and ensuring the survival of the species by aiming to develop the technology to colonise another world.

Branson is just a nob.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't see mentioning any other conditions here, just money.

I don't see me mentioning any other person than Richard Branson.

do you want to now change this argument.

No. And furthermore, I don't want to continue this discussion. If I wanted to be battered into submission by nonsense, I'd talk to my wife.

I am defending the principle of not simply disliking someone because they earn a certain amount of money.

If we were talking about hating your next door neighbour because he has a nicer car than you, this might make sense.

Missing the point indeed.

Is there life on mars?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ellen Musk isn't at least using his own vast wealth to pursue a philanthropic vision of sustainable energy and transport on Earth, and ensuring the survival of the species by aiming to develop the technology to colonise another world.

Branson is just a nob.
Absolutely.

And neither should be judged by their wealth..ALONE.
If wealth were the only condition, then we should also despise Musk.

But quite rightly you don't. Musks wealth is as irrelevant as his choice of beer.

What he does with it, how he makes it...that's the interesting part.

I suspect there are many folk who despise Musk and many others, just because "they is rich"

Tin Pot

Guru
Quote right.

I have no issue with antipathy, dislike, even straight up hatred.

So long as it not just because some one has a different amount of money than another person.

Posts on this thread have suggested that he deserves what he got just because he is wealthy...not for the reasons that you mention.

I hope I have made the difference clear.

Actually I do have an issue with hatred but that's another story.

You may not have noticed, but this forum is infested with anarchocommunists.

Good luck.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Do you have a little list of criteria by which it is considered acceptable to take a dislike to someone? Only you seem to have a long list of unacceptable ones that you keep getting fired up out of all proportion about on this, er, cycling forum. I think if perhaps people knew what you would be happy about, we could avoid upsetting you so much by not mentioning when we don't like someone for one of the reasons on the 'Hate Reasons Unacceptable to Jonny Jeez' list.
Sure.

If you cant work it out for yourself. Happy to help. Here are some of the criteria that I personally don't feel are acceptable reasons to hate someone

Race
Wes (edit) Sex
Financial status
Class

How about you, do you find these acceptable?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom