Richmond Park rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidg

I did it in 1hr07m49s a couple of weeks ago. was really pleased as previously had not done it faster than 75 mins

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
I really need to get some laps done so i have something to compare with you guys, think i will go for some laps after uni tomorrow. i think 30mins would be a good time for me.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Someone tell me how good/ awful this is: one lap, anti-clockwise from kingston gate. 31minutes Slightly overweight 20yo never done RP before (I thought i had, turns out i missed half of it.) got lost which probs added 2 mins to my time?

(If you were there around 2-3 i was the dude in the black Starwars T-shirt looking like he was about to die)

beatleandrew

RyanW said:
Someone tell me how good/ awful this is: one lap, anti-clockwise from kingston gate. 31minutes Slightly overweight 20yo never done RP before (I thought i had, turns out i missed half of it.) got lost which probs added 2 mins to my time?

(If you were there around 2-3 i was the dude in the black Starwars T-shirt looking like he was about to die)
Hey Ryan, good start!

Now that you've been around the park once you'll know where the hills are and how long/difficult each is to climb. It's probably a good plan to limit how hard you ride on the flat and downhill sections so as to save enough energy for the hills. You'll soon start building your strength and fitness and find your times creeping down.

What are you riding?

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
RyanW said:

good start, I've been trying to go around a few times a week for the last couple of months. My average time now is around 26 - 27 minutes a lap depending on the wind and traffic. No idea what it was when I started, I didn;t bother to time it! Time today for 3 laps was 1 hour 22 minutes. I'd already left before 2 today, was riding a black surly crosscheck.

had to stop for a whole herd of deer to amble across the road at one point, I bet they've caused a few accidents.

davidg

beatleandrew said:
Good progress! Take a look at the Bike Radar forum if you haven't already!

yeah, I have! there are quite a lot of people out there much fitter than me!

ryan, practice will only improve and you get a better idea of how much you can exert yourself, eg I was giving it a lot up Dark Hill because I know I can recover for quite a while in the stretch after going anti

beatleandrew

davidg said:
yeah, I have! there are quite a lot of people out there much fitter than me!

ryan, practice will only improve and you get a better idea of how much you can exert yourself, eg I was giving it a lot up Dark Hill because I know I can recover for quite a while in the stretch after going anti
There are quite a range of riders on BikeRadar. Some of the fastest listed are either accomplished time trialists, triathaletes or road racers, so don't let their fast times intimidate!

David, good advice on knowing when to exert yourself. In addition, it's sometimes tempting to pedal hard down a hill whilst gravity on on your side, but that's usually not very economical. It's often better to coast down the hills once you're up to a fast speed and save your efforts for the hard bits.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
Lots of people out cycling today, nice weather too. Nearly knocked off twice :sad: once at Ham Gate junction, driver just didn't look... think she was lighting a cigarette but she was nice looking and apologetic. Then I misjudged the crossing at Wandsworth bridge roundabout, :biggrin::eek::smile:, luckily my brakes worked well :biggrin:

Top Bottom