England : Derbyshire Ride Following Peak District Punisher Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jigwar

Hi all,

This is really just a general call as to whether anyone would like to join me on a ride out on Sunday 18th August around the Peak District. I am not from the area but am staying near Derby for the weekend and have the Sunday to myself.

Was planning to follow the Peak District Punisher (Standard) route, so 77 miles with 7.5k ft of climbing (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/278490093)

Would suggest a meet time of 9am, in Bakewell (although happy to take recommendations on somewhere more appropriate to loop out and back to - I will have the car to be parked up during the day).

Would also be keen to know good places to stop en route - maybe 2 or 3 stops.

All welcome!

Steve

ianwoodi

hi Steve I live in Buxton could meet up in peak forest if Intrested

OP
OP
Jigwar

Jigwar

Thanks Ian, and apologies for slow reply.

Just getting to have a closer look at the route now, and Peak Forest looks to be about 28 miles in (from Bakewell), which is a sensible distance for me to stop at to refuel; therefore, happy to meet up there. However, just street viewing the place there doesn't actually appear to be much there!! This is a good thing from a peaceful ride point-of-view, but not I guess for meeting up somewhere recognisable! Please do let me know if there is something obvious to use as a meeting point.

28 miles in is probably a couple of hours into the ride, so I'd say I should be around that area by half-11 if I set off from Bakewell about half 9.

Anyone else about?

Steve

ianwoodi

Hi steve there not a lot in peak forest but I can meet you left at traffic lights heading for peak dale which is on route and you can refuel you will need it after that edale climb

OP
OP
Jigwar

Jigwar

Yep, I'm holed up in a caravan somewhere just outside the Peak District, so original plan still stands: Bakewell for a 9.30 departure. 11.30 at Peak Forest. 77 miles in all. Looping back to Bakewell.

Steve

OP
OP
Jigwar

Jigwar

Grr, scuppered at the last hurdle - family member has come down with something overnight so no escaping camp for me! The Peaks are going to have to wait.

Ian - Sorry I only know this forum by which to get hold of you. Hope you see this in time. Will also PM.

G3CWI

Veteran
Only just saw this. Pity as could have met up.

Top Bottom