RideLondon Freecycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm enjoying one of those right now :cheers:
Lovely evening for it.

OP
OP
Paul139

Paul139

Veteran
Phew just got home.
We arrived in the smoke at 9 o`clock, joined the route at bank at about 9:30. Me and the wife did 1 lap which was really good. Not too many people about. We met up with some friends at Monument then did another lap. This was slooooow. Every few hundred yards we were stopped to let people cross the road.Fair enough, but this really caused a lot of congestion.
Still a good day out though.
17.8 miles at average speed of 6.7mph!!!
IMG_20150801_155110.jpg

Last edited:
Phew just got home.
We arrived in the smoke at 9 o`clock, joined the route at bank at about 9:30. Me and the wife did 1 lap which was really good. Not too many people about. We met up with some friends at Monument then did another lap. This was slooooow. Every few hundred yards we were stopped to let people cross the road.Fair enough, but this really caused a lot of congestion.
Still a good day out though.
View attachment 98537
Quella Varsity?

Ian193

Über Member
I did this ride today 19 miles @ 5.88 mph it was chaos ended up walking from the mall to Trafalgar Square on the last lap we did and bailed out once we got to fenchurch street station and came home

Chris1983

Me and the missus did the free cycle today and I've got ride London tomorrow whilst she is shopping on Oxford Street.

We both enjoyed it today. 14miles in 4 hours, so not a quick pace at all, but for us it was great to ride together, chat to other riders and enjoy London. Stopped of and.had lunch at St Paul etc. An enjoyable day in the sun

Tomorrow I need to be on it....the longer I take to more cash the missus will spend on Oxford Street....a sub 4 hour time required otherwise I'm bankrupt and might as well just ride into the Thames :-D

OP
OP
Paul139

Paul139

Veteran
I did this ride today 19 miles @ 5.88 mph it was chaos ended up walking from the mall to Trafalgar Square on the last lap we did and bailed out once we got to fenchurch street station and came home

It certainly was chaos around Trafalgar Square.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
We almost went (took all three bikes up to Greenwich) but I've been suffering with dizzy spells since Tuesday 12 days ago and with an office change haven't been trying to commute by bicycle. It was either new drugs (which I'd stopped taking on GP advice) or a virus. Looks like a virus, I was positive I'd be OK but second I got on the bike I was like a new born giraffe (on a bicycle) I rode the car park a bit but while I could get straight lines working the second I looked where I wasn't cycling I was all over the show. Really wanted to go, my wife has been looking forward to it for ages, we've done the last two and she loves the atmosphere but knowing the ride and the route in through traffic I had to own up to not being safe enough. I tried to convince the other two to go without me and I'd meet them on public transport but I couldn't. In the end we went and played mini golf on the A20. It was a hollow victory.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We almost went (took all three bikes up to Greenwich) but I've been suffering with dizzy spells since Tuesday 12 days ago and with an office change haven't been trying to commute by bicycle. It was either new drugs (which I'd stopped taking on GP advice) or a virus. Looks like a virus, I was positive I'd be OK but second I got on the bike I was like a new born giraffe (on a bicycle) I rode the car park a bit but while I could get straight lines working the second I looked where I wasn't cycling I was all over the show. Really wanted to go, my wife has been looking forward to it for ages, we've done the last two and she loves the atmosphere but knowing the ride and the route in through traffic I had to own up to not being safe enough. I tried to convince the other two to go without me and I'd meet them on public transport but I couldn't. In the end we went and played mini golf on the A20. It was a hollow victory.
Bad news. It must be weird losing your balance like that. I don't know what time you got to Greenwich but there's usually a feeder ride that leaves Cutty Sark Gardens so there might have been some protection from the traffic - or a DLR ride up to Bank. As for playing Mini-Golf on the A20, well, it sounds a bit risky. I've had two offs from Minis in the last 2 years and I've yet to cross a Mini driver who has the slightest interest in the road. Golf drivers are a daily hazard too.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
^^^ This.
We did a nice sedate lap, enjoyed the views and the myriad cyclists. Great to see sooo many small kids on 'proper' bicycles rather than BSOs. A fabulous event.

The Brompton owners area Was the epitome of cycling nuttiness :-)

Top Bottom