Riding with a weaker friend.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Funny you should mention that. We were talking about doing a 70.3. Neither of us have swam that distance, but can swim well. Cycling distance has been ridden by us both before and run is a little higher than we've done, but achievable with training. Maybe train next year and attempt in 2017.

Drago

Legendary Member
How do people deal with this?

It's a double edged sword. Most puny mortals are weaker than me, but most are also faster.

Thomk

Guru
Don't worry too much about it you're both big boys. I go out with a weaker friend. We start and end the ride together and anything in the middle is allowed. I go out with a stronger friend and the same applies.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've been in both positions. It's hard to ride within yourself, but if you're riding together it's what you should do. Trust me, it isn't nice when your mate keeps disappearing, no matter how big your cock is.

Tin Pot

Guru
I use rides with a mate as the recovery ride or Z1/Z2 of a training week.

Also,
Harder gearing up hills
Do hills twice
Do another hour solo afterwards

The guys who are faster than me should wear a 20kg weight vest to even things up.

Julia9054

Guru
This maybe not the answer but i had a weak mate and we would bike to a pre decided destination and after a few mile i would pull away from him and wait his arrival at said destination. It worked for us . And i waited for him on the way back sometimes 20 mins. This meant we had more to speak about when we caught up with each other.
I mostly ride with my fella. This is what we do as he is a bit faster and stronger than me. For me, it's the best of both worlds. I get to ride on my own - which I love but get bored after about 2 hours - and I get company as we take breaks and cafe stops together.
An added bonus - he gets home about 15 minutes before me. When I get in, there is a bubble bath and hot chocolate waiting for me!

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

I mostly ride with my fella. This is what we do as he is a bit faster and stronger than me. For me, it's the best of both worlds. I get to ride on my own - which I love but get bored after about 2 hours - and I get company as we take breaks and cafe stops together.
An added bonus - he gets home about 15 minutes before me. When I get in, there is a bubble bath and hot chocolate waiting for me!
I'm not sure we're quite at that point in our relationship yet.

PK99

Legendary Member
How do people deal with this?

Fair play to my mate, we go out and usually within 5 miles he's out of his comfort zone, but obviously I want to get the most out of my ride.

Most of the time I get up the hills as quick as I can, then slow down the descent to allow him to speed up. However, recently I've had to actually stop and wait for him. Again, not a problem! It gives me a break if anything... But I'd like to give myself a workout.

Any ideas how I can kind of get more out of my ride without leaving him for dust? Obviously I could leave him when we get back and do another ride, but I'd prefer to maximise my gains whilst helping him along.

Over gear on the climbs and give yourself a resistance workout, sit behind him on the climb - the extra motivation to keep you there works wonders, when he flags, don't shoot away, give him a wheel to hang on to let mind work over body.

Under gear on the flat and spin for a cardio workout.

Vary your routes but keep going back to a known route - it will feel easier for him and his times will be proof of progress.

I took my wife from tow path pootler to 7.5 hrs for the pru 100 (at age 58) in the period from getting the ballot result to the event. Painfully slow (for me) at the start, but by the event practice run she was on my wheel up all the hills - and rode them all all the way up.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Use a heavy, full suspension, supermarket BSO. Imagine the workout you'll get keeping up with him!
Not so daft, I now use the Brompton on mellower rides or with newbies, or the old MTB just to make it more of an effort. It's better than using a race bike as I tend to stay with them more at my natural riding pace.

Top Bottom