Roadside mobile phone detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use my phone as my sat nav, so it is hands free, but not sure how the distinction would be made by the detectors.

BSRU

A Human Being
You don't need special detectors, the mobile network already knows where you are and if you're moving or not, it needs to know if you going to cross a cell boundary in order to handover to the next cell.

Dan B

Disengaged member
getting fined because of breaching an average speed restriction shows you're a complete nobber
Also, frankly, a shoot driver. It's hardly taxing, is it, driving a car at or under 50mph for five miles? I suspect even a ten year old could do it, if they could reach the pedals.

You don't need special detectors, the mobile network already knows where you are and if you're moving or not, it needs to know if you going to cross a cell boundary in order to handover to the next cell.
Not true. Operates using triangulation aren't that accurate. Certainly not accurate enough to prove in court.

Moving phones can include people in trains next to roads, people on bikes, passengers in cars, phones updating apps in the background, the list goes on.

BSRU

A Human Being
Not true. Operates using triangulation aren't that accurate. Certainly not accurate enough to prove in court.
Not quite as accurate as GPS but, from my experience in working on it, it is good enough(except in rural areas) and is better if using 4G( or 5G when it arrives) as the cell density is much higher.
You could also use GPS logging as most smart phones have that function and the mobile network knows about it and when you are using the phone.

Not quite as accurate as GPS but, from my experience in working on it, it is good enough(except in rural areas) and is better if using 4G( or 5G when it arrives) as the cell density is much higher.
You could also use GPS logging as most smart phones have that function and the mobile network knows about it and when you are using the phone.
But all of these doubts and inaccuracies will get ripped up in court.

classic33

Leg End Member
They could do the same with GPS data.
Using this sort of mobile phone data will never happen though.

Wasn't it used to show, in court, that the phone was in use at the time of collision. And the phone belonged to the driver.
It was on here, but unable to locate it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
GPS is receive-only. The phone user would have to be using some kind of app that turned the gps receiver on and either saved or uploaded the data received, and it's difficult to see how you would go about requiring them to. I mean, if you're going to make it illegal to turn off GPS reception, why not just make it illegal to use a handhel mobile while drivin... oh, wait ...

BSRU

A Human Being
GPS is receive-only. The phone user would have to be using some kind of app that turned the gps receiver on and either saved or uploaded the data received, and it's difficult to see how you would go about requiring them to. I mean, if you're going to make it illegal to turn off GPS reception, why not just make it illegal to use a handhel mobile while drivin... oh, wait ...
Yes GPS is receive only and optional in this country but your phone is in constant contact with the network sending it all sorts of information.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes GPS is receive only and optional in this country but your phone is in constant contact with the network sending it all sorts of information.
Possible to limit it though by setting network search to manual. Automatic, its constantly sending & receiving

Dan B

Disengaged member
Possible to limit it though by setting network search to manual. Automatic, its constantly sending & receiving
That's interesting, I would have assumed it's stil handing off from tower to tower as you move around

But still has nothing at all to do with GPS

classic33

Leg End Member
That's interesting, I would have assumed it's stil handing off from tower to tower as you move around

But still has nothing at all to do with GPS
But it allows the network to prove that it was actually in use, and which way the call was going at the time. Its also how they use the mobile network to track your mobile. Automatic network selection is a constant seeking out of the strongest signal. But as the towers/masts are in fixed known locations, triangulation is easy. See the Volvo cyclist detection system, good for within nine feet.

Top Bottom