Rounded on by pedestrians!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
betty swollocks said:
mr hippo: without smileys it's difficult to discern the tone in which your comment was made. Were you being ironic or genuinely critical of me?
If the latter, I can only repeat what I've said earlier: I had the brake covered and was able to stop in time, even though this driver pulled out straight in front of me.
Too fast for road conditions: certainly not.
Blames others: yes, absolutely it was their fault entirely.
Ignore his comment, he's always critical of anyone and everyone and is generally just a bit of an disgruntled old codger. Carry on.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
betty swollocks said:
As I said in my initial post, maybe the driver was on her test, where I surmise you are given a little leeway to fail and where an instructor would have intervened.

unless they had a hiviz waistcoat and clipboard, it's unlikely…

col

Legendary Member
betty swollocks said:
Got verbal? I was not abusive. My comment was a simple observation.
Perhaps I should have blown the driver kisses for nearly taking me out and invited them to do the same to another cyclist on the next rab?

You said you yelled through the window, that tends to be verbal,perhaps I missunderstood? now blowing kisses isnt.;) I wouldnt invite the same thing at the next roundabout, Id slow a bit if there was traffic.:biggrin:

John the Monkey said:
I tend to not bandy words with motorists in general, but it can be difficult to keep calm when someone pulls out ahead of you, wouldn't you agree?

Agreed - I do a few roundabouts at the start of my commute, generally with the flow of the bulk of the traffic (i.e. it and I tend to be entering and leaving from the same places). Obviously I do give way to traffic already on/entering from my right, but in general slowing too much will have traffic trying to cut around me and beat me to the exit (usually the same one I'm taking). It makes sense to maintain a fair speed on the way through so that "need" to pass doesn't appear for the drivers.

I do agree with you in your first sentence. I also agree with you on your second point, and I have found myself floundering a bit if Iv slowed too much as there wasnt a good gap to join, but dont get a problem being slower, I just indicate and look and normally get let across which I give a thumbs up to.
My point was it was a learner and a bit ott maybe? Just seems a bit off reacting to someone with obviously very limited experience.

thomas

the tank engine
betty swollocks said:
Thinking about it later: she may actually have been on her test, which may be why the 'instructor' did not intervene at the roundabout. If she was, I wonder if she did fail?

A driving test examiner, though will remain impartial (eg, won't give advice on anything like , should I overtake, how do I do a 3 point turn, etc) they will intervene in emergency. Chances are the instructor or examiner didn't see you either.

I know people who's examiners used the duel controls to emergency stops...even had a friend where the examiner had to grab the steering wheel to avoid an accident.

I on the other hand passed first time ;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
col said:
...but dont get a problem being slower, I just indicate and look and normally get let across which I give a thumbs up to.
I think lots of driving "customs" are geographical - I don't think that would work on my commute.

The roundabouts are also fairly large and have a couple of fast-ish roads joining. Being "part of the traffic" works for getting across them in one piece. Tackling the exits at much below 18-20mph has people cutting in front, ime.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
fossyant said:
You need 2 very good brakes...that's it..... hope betty wasn't riding the new tank.....:tongue:

I was riding this:-

vrd89e.jpg

not this:-

2cfsaoj.jpg

The former had one rather good disc brake, which combined with back pressure on the pedals, brings one to a halt very quickly and under control. the latter had SA drum brakes, which are somewhat lackadaisical and are part of its charm.

col

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
I think lots of driving "customs" are geographical - I don't think that would work on my commute.

The roundabouts are also fairly large and have a couple of fast-ish roads joining. Being "part of the traffic" works for getting across them in one piece. Tackling the exits at much below 18-20mph has people cutting in front, ime.

It sometimes doesnt work straight away, sometimes Im waiting to be let across, but then when Im moving slowly looking for a gap I think drivers take pity and let me go;) so sometimes slow is best.

Top Bottom