safety in a crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
Cars (modern ones at least) are obviously safer. Mine has airbags everywhere and a safety system that detects when you are going to have a crash and then closes any open windows, moves the backrest of the seats so that they are in the best position for the airbags and tensions the seatbelts.
It'll also automatically put on the hazards if it detects heavy braking!

All very well and good, but if anything goes wrong with it, I can't fix it- give me a 1978 Austin Princess any day :smile:

However, one has to balance the risks of cycling with the benefits. By cycling we improve general health so are likely (overall) to live longer - on average.

bpsmith

Veteran
Cars are safer these days, without question. What I would like to know is why people insist on driving bigger cars/4x4's when the likelihood of crashing them is far higher than a smaller car?

This is based on the same, so called, fact that you are more likely to hit your head when wearing a helmet...

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
What I would like to know is why people insist on driving bigger cars/4x4's when the likelihood of crashing them is far higher than a smaller car?

can't answer for most as a lot of modern 4x4's such as modern range rovers and even discoveries won't see anything but tarmac but i will be going for an old landrover series due to my requirement to tow heavy loads and being a farmer it's not much good having a sheep stuck in the middle of a field injured if i can't even get into the field in a renault clio! also again being a farmer and farm worker i need to get halfway across a muddy field covered in 3 foot of snow any time of the year :tongue:
oh and i like simple vehicles without 1000's of electronic gubbins that just break as my vehicle must work when i need it to and must be quick and easy to fix when it does go pop!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Allways going to win in a car , landrover or even robin reliant. No good dwelling on it just be as safe as you can. Old landies had a seperate petrol tank under each front seat with a change over valve down near the footwell from memory.

Wouldnt fancy a major collision in on eof those fire bombs.

Couldnt give a ship how many sheep fit in, will it take a 56 cm road bike is the important issue ^_^
have heard about the dual tanks somewhere else so probably right

why would i need to take a 56cm road bike? spare tube and patches and a pump and there is no need!
okay maybe if i am cycling far away but i will be investing in a towball mounted bike carrier so that i can drive to my apprenticeship in the morning and then ride home at 10 and then return at 2 to then drive home in the evening
Cheers Ed

bpsmith

Veteran
@young Ed easnt aiming this directly at you. You want a 4x4 for the right reasons. I was aiming at anyone who drives a big car on the road when they don't need to.

For clarity, Every helmet thread someone says that you're more likely to have an accident whilst wearing a helmet, due to the larger surface area. My query relates to the same principle with larger vehicles. Strangely, nobody wants to comment over that...

chewa

Cars are safer these days, without question. What I would like to know is why people insist on driving bigger cars/4x4's when the likelihood of crashing them is far higher than a smaller car?

This is based on the same, so called, fact that you are more likely to hit your head when wearing a helmet...

I drive a big car (MB E class estate) because I have a small penis I have two big dogs so with luggage for holidays, the car is pretty full (and has a tow bar carrier for the bikes). It's also one of the safest cars in the world (or so they claim). My previous car was a Saab 9-5 Estate (again a dog carrier)

I don't think the likelihood of crashing is any greater than in a small car, my only car accidents have been in a Mini and a Clan Crusader (both fairly petite). I do agree re 4x4s. I don't understand people who don't use them off road having them. They may be passively safer than a smaller car if you have an accident, but their increased centre of gravity would seem to make them actively less safe as their handling is not as good as normal car (all things being equal). They can be big inside, but no great deal bigger than a big estate and the need to drag round all that extra drivetrain knackers economy.

Funnily enough, we had a Jeep for a while which, despite the fact it had no airbags and poor ergonomics, my wife felt very safe in. Its suspension (rigid axles) was primitive and I didn't particularly like it - we used the 4x4 drive one week in 2 years.

bpsmith

Veteran
I appreciate your reply @chewa. My question was kind of loaded, in fairness, but you have proved my point as far as larger cars with larger volume are Not more likely to be involved in an accident solely based on their size. In fact, your experience suggests the opposite, if anything. This surely transfers to almost any object, including wearing a helmet. :smile:

On the 4x4 for no reason front, we are in agreement. I really don't get it tbh. Estate cars are far more suited in most cases. We have a VW Touran for the large boot space. Absolute God send for luggage capacity.

chewa

I appreciate your reply @chewa. My question was kind of loaded, in fairness, but you have proved my point as far as larger cars with larger volume are Not more likely to be involved in an accident solely based on their size. In fact, your experience suggests the opposite, if anything. This surely transfers to almost any object, including wearing a helmet. :smile:
I'm not sure whether my sample (of crashes) is representative as I've been a cyclist and motorcyclist all my adult life so am pretty risk aware (which is why I've had a few Saabs!). You have made me think though, I wonder if people in larger cars (or 4x4s) or vans drive (even subconsciously) more riskily because they feel inherently safer (like those surveys that suggest helmet wearers take greater risks and cars pass helmeted cyclists closer).

bpsmith

Veteran
I'm not sure whether my sample (of crashes) is representative as I've been a cyclist and motorcyclist all my adult life so am pretty risk aware (which is why I've had a few Saabs!). You have made me think though, I wonder if people in larger cars (or 4x4s) or vans drive (even subconsciously) more riskily because they feel inherently safer (like those surveys that suggest helmet wearers take greater risks and cars pass helmeted cyclists closer).

I am genuinely interested in these answers too, much as I am honestly interested in the helmet wearers are more likely to hit their head argument. I am intrigued. :smile:

chewa

"Touch wood" I always wear a helmet (30 years now) and have never had my head hit the ground in an off. The only time I've smacked my helmet is when I got hit by a 4x4 mirror,, hit by a bus mirror (is there a trend?)and often when my 5'1 wife doesn't put the garage door up fully when parking her bike!

classic33

Leg End Member
Shroggs Road & Hebble Lane.jpg

Same junction I got t-boned on. Neither car in the picture was doing more than twenty, With the red one having just pulled out onto the road. Silver one, with right of way, had rolled back.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
How old is that newspaper!?!
30th March 2007, said it above the photo at the top of the pic

lets not turn this into a helmet debate please! not got there yet but could easily do so
as for the helmet riders ride more dangerously, maybe as a whole but i really haven't a clue but all i know is i am a VERY cautious rider and wear a helmet and this is partially due to losing a very close and dear friend of mine that felt like family as in OP, so this tragic case really hit me hard
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom