Saffron Lane velodrome is no more.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A sad day for british cycling history.

Can you see it from your offices?

Did the Sports centre reopen ? I knew there were plans earlier. Was it at the expense of the velodrome ?

yello

Whilst I never cycled there myself, I did play football. My father road the boards there though. It feels, for me personally, that another link with my birth place has been severed.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
yello said:
Whilst I never cycled there myself, I did play football. My father road the boards there though. It feels, for me personally, that another link with my birth place has been severed.

I've done much research on 'The Saff' and would welcome any memories you have of the place - even if it's just about going to watch your dad ride there.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
When it was first closed down and deemed to dangerous to ride I asked if I could have a bit of the track for my collection of memorabilia.

The council said yes, so I nipped down with a saw and cut out part of the start line. Even then the wood was rotting but I've now got a small rot free piece in my office:biggrin:

derosa

Hilldodger said:
When it was first closed down and deemed to dangerous to ride I asked if I could have a bit of the track for my collection of memorabilia.

The council said yes, so I nipped down with a saw and cut out part of the start line. Even then the wood was rotting but I've now got a small rot free piece in my office:biggrin:

You're a very lucky man.
I remember watching the world champs as a nipper - happier times :rolleyes:

Wobbly John

Veteran
I rode some of the BHPC races there in the mid 90's. I was using a Kingcycle tyre with a ribbed tread and by the end of a race the tyre had a fringe round it where the tread had ripped off staying on the banking.

velodrome.jpg

naffets

i remember seeing the worlds there in 87 f moser making an appearance and adrian timmis stacking it! pity to loose a bit of cycling heritage!!

Top Bottom