Schuey... a perspective.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

More truth than parody as usual.

"No more overtaking, no more surprises, no victorious underdogs. Just a procession of tax-avoiding millionaires following each other around the track in the precise order they set off."
:welcome::biggrin::biggrin:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
He may be boring, but i think it will be interesting, in the late 90's early 00's if you stuck every driver in the same car they would all have finished within half a second of each other on a time trial... except Schuey! the only driver close to that now is Hamilton but in F1 in rarely about the millionaire tax dodger in the driving seat, its all about the cars and the team tactics.

Crankarm

Guru
Just because Armstrong has come out of retirement achieving 3rd on the podium Schumacher thinks he can still win in F1. Who next? Sampras coming out or retirement to take on Federer and Nadal? The guy's a fossil and he should leave it to the young guys. He will not achieve anything. Ferrari are nowhere at the moment. Nonetheless Lewis Hamilton is a far better driver.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wigsie said:
He may be boring, but i think it will be interesting, in the late 90's early 00's if you stuck every driver in the same car they would all have finished within half a second of each other on a time trial... except Schuey! the only driver close to that now is Hamilton but in F1 in rarely about the millionaire tax dodger in the driving seat, its all about the cars and the team tactics.

I'm not sure what any of that means, Schuey was an above average qualifier, he was never anything special at it, even if you look at data where ferrari had a fast qualifying car he was sometimes thumped by slower or equally good qualifying cars. One could argue that as a skillset Hamilton is probably a better qualifier than Schumi, quite a few drivers were and didn't perform in other areas. What matters is team, ability and reliability. Schumi had all three combining together like no other driver in history, not that it was all down to him by any means.

One thing of interest, he'll move up one place in longest driving career if he starts the remainder of the races, he'll be joint on race starts with Ricardo Patrese, behind Rubens Barrichello.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
marinyork said:
I'm not sure what any of that means,

Its relatively simple.... yes he had the best car and a great team set up but if all things were equal he would have still been head and shoulders above everyone else talent wise, especially in the wet. Qualifying/time trials was probably the wrong term to use as is wasn't mean't literally.

Hamilton has the potential to dominate the next 5-10 years or so but only time will tell, he is still young, has a famous girlfriend and they both appear to enjoy courting the media at times, I am not sure he has the focus or the determination, lets see how he performs on track on a sunday when he breaks up with the missus and its been all over the media for a week or two. Hopefully he does as the past few drivers we have had that had the skill, lacked in focus.

classic33

Leg End Member
dav1d said:
Does anyone know what the odds are for him to win?

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/EN/search/?sCriteria=schumacher

What we have for the next race is a driver in a car that he will have driven only the day before, on a circuit that he has never driven on with technology in it that he has never used.

Given the fact that he has a recent neck injury, stepping in when Massa is unable to drive wouldn't have been taken lightly.

Massa is the reason he's in the car.

Not a "Red car" fan.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wigsie said:
Its relatively simple.... yes he had the best car and a great team set up but if all things were equal he would have still been head and shoulders above everyone else talent wise, especially in the wet. Qualifying/time trials was probably the wrong term to use as is wasn't mean't literally.

I'm sticking with Fangio's famous comments.

Wigsie said:
Hamilton has the potential to dominate the next 5-10 years or so but only time will tell, he is still young, has a famous girlfriend and they both appear to enjoy courting the media at times, I am not sure he has the focus or the determination, lets see how he performs on track on a sunday when he breaks up with the missus and its been all over the media for a week or two. Hopefully he does as the past few drivers we have had that had the skill, lacked in focus.

I think he lacks a bit of focus, however I think one could argue he has a lot more talent than either Hunt, Hill, or various of the other drivers since Stewart. I think management is a problem for him, I'd trust Do-Ron to keep a much better eye on him than Martin Whitmarsh.

Anyway on the topic of schumacher, they've had him out testing old cars, which I regard as a bit of a cheat as the replacement Torro Roso driver hasn't had as much of this or trying to get a special dispensation for 2009 cars, right in the middle of the break. In a normal season even if the car was as bad as it was I'd say Schumi might win in Brazil as it's a car that tends to do well there and they'd be working away like mad to make that happen.

dav1d

classic33 said:

What we have for the next race is a driver in a car that he will have driven only the day before, on a circuit that he has never driven on with technology in it that he has never used.

Given the fact that he has a recent neck injury, stepping in when Massa is unable to drive wouldn't have been taken lightly.

Massa is the reason he's in the car.

Not a "Red car" fan.

Not a fan of Ferari myself, just wondered what the odds were. Thought they'd be higher than that.

Mr Pig said:
I don't think Ferrari play unless they can alter the odds in their favour.

Ferari can alter a lot in their favour. Like the rules. :biggrin:

asterix

Comrade Member
For entertainment value, sitting on a bridge over the M25 watching the traffic is better than F1. The entire charade is dependent on huge sums of money to make it the least interesting and it's catering to the celeb-worshippers.

Motorcycle racing is a far better spectator motorsport.

byegad

Legendary Member
classic33 said:

Not a "Red car" fan.

Excatly, the new guy in the Hungary race did just this. Now Ferrari have asked for a waive of the no test rule for Schumacher to get used to the car.

Now three teams have objected, including the new guy's team, we'll see if the FIA are still biased in favour of the Schurrari cambo.

Top Bottom