England : Cumbria Scottish Borders run - 26th July 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
A very pleasant ride through the far north of England, crossing over into Scotland for a proper leg-bending climb over the moors from Newcastleton to Langholm and then back to Carlisle.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3948644

The rules:
Any bike will do!
Nobody gets left behind
There will be cake :hungry:

There is a very nice little bakery in Newcastleton for the cake stop and to psych ourselves up for the climb to follow, and another in Langholm if we feel the need.

Total distance is 68 miles which should provide a very nice day out at whatever pace we end up doing :smile:

There are two start points. The first is at Carlisle Station where I can meet anyone coming by train, the second is a big free car park (it'll be empty on a saturday) on the outskirts about 2 miles away. From there we stay on back roads and should be largely traffic-free.

Current indications are that the ride should get underway from the Station at approx 10am, and from the 2nd meeting point about 10 mins later.

Everyone welcome :bicycle:

Interested:
Marmion
Col5652
Martin McNeely
Brandane
Edwardoka
Harry_Palmer79
Clockhammer
GBC +1

Confirmed:
MikeW-71
Shooglydougie
Telemark
Tolvar

Last edited:
If it had not been for the date I'd have been up for it, but it's the week after the Mersey Roads 24 hour TT and my legs might be a bit tired and due a nice rest! But I'll keep an eye on this thread on the off chance that they are not in pain.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Saturdays have an 8:10 train departure from Edinburgh arriving 9:29 in Carlisle or 8:52 arriving 10:07 (disclaimer, the ticket page allows checking until early April just now, but assume the times won't change much by July). Approximately hourly trains back in the afternoon/evening...
For the westies there is an 8:40 - 9:47 train from Glasgow Central ...

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Forgot to say (but may be obvious from the fact that I went and looked at train times :whistle:) ... definitely interested, but way too soon to know what'll be happening on 6 months time, will keep an eye on the thread and decide nearer the time :thumbsup:

T

Fubar

Guru
For a few different reasons I will also have to wait until much nearer the time before I could commit, looks like a good ride @MikeW-71

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@Pat "5mph" - :sad: maybe you have at least a small chance to meet or at least see a few famous or not so famous sports people/ex sports people?
Slight side-track (apologies to Mike!) ... this just made me look up the schedule for the Commie Games ... some free outdoor cycling events! :hyper:

Looks like they don't clash with this ride :thumbsup:

I'll start a new thread with the dates and times and see if anybody is interested to meet up somewhere by the roadside and see the pros whizz by!

EDIT: new Commie Games thread HERE

T

Last edited:
Top Bottom