Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley CC ECOSSE Commonwealth Games road races meet-up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
While the track tickets have long been sold out, anybody can line up along the road race route and watch the pros in action! :hyper:And it's free, of course!
I'm hoping to head over to the wild West, probably for the Sunday, so thought it would be good to have a 'chat' thread to see if others would like to meet up somewhere by the roadside?
The locals will probably be able to advise on the best locations ...:thumbsup:

Here is the official schedule (full programme for all events here):
Untitled.png

T

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Sounds like a plan

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Have they confirmed that the road race route is the same as for the nationals last year? Time trial down in Ayrshire again, too?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Am I alone in thinking that cycling is one of many sports which doesn't translate well into a spectating event? They only do the same as us, but faster!

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@Brandane - I've spectated at an evening criterium race in Edinburgh's old town a few years ago - was great fun, the circuit was only a couple of km long, so much action to be seen on cobbles with tight bends and up/downhill bits. The balmy summer evening conditions might have contributed, as did the presence of quite a few local CC Ecosse members ...:highfive:

If you just get one pass by the peloton after hanging around and waiting for hours, that wouldn't be a good deal, unless you treat it as an opportunity to meet friends and have a picnic a.k.a. cake :thumbsup:. I suppose the TT (Thursday unfortunately) will definitely provide well spread out entertainment, but would need either a good sharp corner or at least a good length of the route to be visible from a strategic position - otherwise you'll just get a millisecond flash-past.

That's why I thought a thread on this might be a good idea, to find out more on the route/spectating opportunities and of course assemble the all important good company for the day :hello:.

@Col5632 - About cycling to Glasgow ... the race would probably be finished by the time I get there :giggle: , or all the good spots by the roadside will be taken... unless the cycling takes place on the previous day ...

T

zizou

Veteran
Have they confirmed that the road race route is the same as for the nationals last year? Time trial down in Ayrshire again, too?

Time trial is a different course. Route hasnt been published yet but it is in the east end and not the most scenic of routes

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Brandane - I've spectated at an evening criterium race in Edinburgh's old town a few years ago - was great fun, the circuit was only a couple of km long, so much action to be seen on cobbles with tight bends and up/downhill bits. The balmy summer evening conditions might have contributed, as did the presence of quite a few local CC Ecosse members ...:highfive:

If you just get one pass by the peloton after hanging around and waiting for hours, that wouldn't be a good deal, unless you treat it as an opportunity to meet friends and have a picnic a.k.a. cake :thumbsup:. I suppose the TT (Thursday unfortunately) will definitely provide well spread out entertainment, but would need either a good sharp corner or at least a good length of the route to be visible from a strategic position - otherwise you'll just get a millisecond flash-past.

That's why I thought a thread on this might be a good idea, to find out more on the route/spectating opportunities and of course assemble the all important good company for the day :hello:.

@Col5632 - About cycling to Glasgow ... the race would probably be finished by the time I get there :giggle: , or all the good spots by the roadside will be taken... unless the cycling takes place on the previous day ...

T

Your OP never mentioned CAKE! See you there :thumbsup:.
Actually, I did drive down to the borders to watch the LEL folks last year. More out of admiration and respect, rather than for entertainment value :bravo:.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Time trial is a different course. Route hasnt been published yet but it is in the east end and not the most scenic of routes

I found a draft. Not the most scenic indeed... On the plus side, should lead to much needed resurfacing on the A80. But my decent position on a number of strava segments might suffer.

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks for digging this out, @Rasmus! The draft map is dated March 2012 ... I wonder if they have changed it much, time will tell!
Is it just me finding the CW Games webpages a bit difficult for finding/navigating to what I'm looking for?

fimm

Veteran
We saw the Olympic Time Trial on some random uninteresting bit of road somewhere.
Didn't have much of a clue what was going on (we did have a start list and someone in the vicinity had a radio). However the atmosphere was amazing! I would definitely do it again.
I intend to come to Glasgow to spectate at the Road Race and maybe take a day off work to see the TTs as well.

Top Bottom