England : Cumbria Scottish Borders run - 26th July 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Ed, I'm not sure if we can get onto the 74 at the Shields Rd interchange, looking at Google maps we might have to go round the corner to Wallace Street. However, it would be a good place to meet up, say outside the Scotland Street School? We should make Carlisle in just short of 2 hours, so meet about 8.00am I think.
@Harry_Palmer79 Is this all OK with you as well Ross?

Sounds good to me! :smile:

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
@MikeW-71 Hi Mike, could you give me a location for the car park meet up please.I've re-read the thread and I don't think I've missed it, but......:scratch:
It's easy to find.

Head to M6 Junction 43, turn off here and turn right towards Carlisle. Turn left at the first traffic lights (opposite Tesco entrance). You will pass the Alfa Romeo and Mercedes dealerships here. Follow the road into the estate a short way until you pass ATS, the car park is right there. It is huge, and there'll be next to nobody in it on a saturday morning.

WARNING: The car park entrance has a height restrictor in case anyone is carrying bikes on the roof.

Reactions: GBC

Tolvar

Hi Mike - sorry to say my daughters have passed on some sort of virus, i very much doubt i'll be in a fit state for Sat :sad:

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Sorry to hear that @Tolvar can't make it, I'll have to see if I can sort something a bit later on.

Don't know about flapjacks just yet, I'll be back from holidays early evening the day before, so I might not have time to make some, but I will try :smile:

I will probably use the CX bike so I can carry supplies :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
I was considering that depending on what I was or was not needed for but yesterday we had some news that Mrs Fubar's mum has deteriorated (she's 85 and in a home in Derbyshire) so heading down there today and things will be a bit on hold for the next week.
Sorry to hear that :sad: best wishes to the family, and fingers crossed.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@MikeW-71 - I've got flapjack ingredients, too, so no need to put yourself out if you are only just coming back from holiday. If you were to find the time for some baking, I am very happy to do something else :thanks:. So you've got 1st dibs ... but a hilly ride with no flapjacks is not good :ohmy:... I'll do my baking Friday evening, just let me know what you've decided! We wouldn't want 'death by flapjack', would we? :laugh:

T

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
They don't take long to make TBH and they will have overnight to cool, so it should be OK unless I'm not back until 10pm or something. If that happens then the carbon bike will be coming as It's all ready and the CX will need a little attention.

I'd rather bring the CX as it will be touring practice :smile:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I'd rather bring the CX as it will be touring practice :smile:
;) You'll need to bring 2 full paniers, for proper touring practice ... :mrpig:

T

I'll be bringing the Focus but will probably have a backpack, I could be persuaded to try my hand at baking if anyone has suggestions for something easy to make :hungry:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Try BBC food for some suggestions, over 3000 recipes :eek:, with most requiring less than half an hour of preparation and similar baking time...

This one looks rather nice, but then again I'm rather partial to ginger :hungry:... on the right hand side there are links to other tray bakes ...
Just remember that chocolate may easily melt at this time of year, especially if carried in a rucsac next to a warm body heading up hills and down dales ;).

3 bakers, 6-7 cyclists ... hmmm ... :mrpig:

T

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
It'll be pure muscle :whistle:
I've just gone through a new recipe book and found two I wouldn't mind trying ...
  • Apricot & walnut sandwich bars (2 flapjack-style oaty-nutty layers with a dried apricot & lemon zest filling)
  • Date & walnut tray bake (also containing cinnamon, ground almonds) and a lemon icing
Any preferences?

T

It'll be pure muscle :whistle:
I've just gone through a new recipe book and found two I wouldn't mind trying ...
  • Apricot & walnut sandwich bars (2 flapjack-style oaty-nutty layers with a dried apricot & lemon zest filling)
  • Date & walnut tray bake (also containing cinnamon, ground almonds) and a lemon icing
Any preferences?

T
Apricot sandwich bars sound nice, but I'm not a fan of walnuts or dates (or ginger :whistle:)
I should warn you all that I can't cook and haven't baked anything aside from damp bread in 20 years :thumbsup:

GBC

Veteran
It's easy to find.

Head to M6 Junction 43, turn off here and turn right towards Carlisle. Turn left at the first traffic lights (opposite Tesco entrance). You will pass the Alfa Romeo and Mercedes dealerships here. Follow the road into the estate a short way until you pass ATS, the car park is right there. It is huge, and there'll be next to nobody in it on a saturday morning.

WARNING: The car park entrance has a height restrictor in case anyone is carrying bikes on the roof.

Thanks for that Mike, looks simple enough:smile: On the downside, the carer has pulled claiming lack of match fitness; the last ride he did of any length was the Three Ferries.

Top Bottom