Self Illumination?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My taillight happens to be ~6W LED, or roughly equivalent to 20W of halogen. You'll have to try extremely hard not to see it no matter whether it flashes or not.

BM, I'm sure your lights are the finest that money can buy. I wasn't having a go at your personal setup, merely indicating what is probably the best setup for those who are buying some lights from their LBS without an inclination to spend hundreds of pounds on a set.
... although there's more to good lights than simply being bright. A bright constant light in heavy traffic looks much like all the other bright constant lights on the backs of cars. Especially when you factor brake lights into the equation. Flashing LEDs are not used by any other vehicle and make cyclists stand out much more than constant lights. But - in my view - you need both; flashers on their own are not much good.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Perhaps it's not a good thing to assume it's advantageous to look like a cyclist. That same argument goes against the self-illumination route.

No, I didn't think you were having a go, I just think there are many lighting options, and yours is not necessarily the optimal configuration.

The problem with lighting the cyclist is that it can afect night vision.

I have a faired recumbent and if I have the lights inside the fairing, I see far less detail than if I mount them outside.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Tried my ride home last night with one of my El cat eyes rotated (hanging) under my bars and illuminating my jacket (chest).

My observations.
1. No peds stepped out on me...chance?

2. No cyclist's or motorbikes cut across me (after a lifesaver, something that happens a lot in the dark)..chance again?

3. At least 5 other riders took a good look (probably nearer 10 but I could put at least a few down to my dashing good looks!)

4. The El failed to really spread the light and created a big yellow "spot" on my chest, I'd prefer a "Chap shaped " spot that reminded drivers that i'm a person.

5. Night vision was totally uneffected, even in the darkest parts of Hyde park, car lights are far more effective at ruining my night vision (in practice). But, on a totally unlit country road, I could well feel different

6. One driver pulled out on me (or tried to, untill I shouted at him) despite seeing me clearly (eye to eye) and with me doing my best xmas tree impression.

7 last point, it was cold last night, and a bit wet at the start, the light glowing on my chest actuually made me *feel* less exposed and a little bit warmer.

Conclusion, I'm looking at a cheap wide beam torch that will light up a greater area, I'll try anything if it might make me more visible.

cygnet

When I've needed to see my bars (computer/route sheet) in the dark I sometimes clip a cheap LED to my jersey. An 'invisible' gilet worn over the top diffuses it quite well to a sort of ET glow rather than a spot.

I haven't noticed if it made any difference to other traffic behavior though.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
When I've needed to see my bars (computer/route sheet) in the dark I sometimes clip a cheap LED to my jersey. An 'invisible' gilet worn over the top diffuses it quite well to a sort of ET glow rather than a spot.

I haven't noticed if it made any difference to other traffic behavior though.

bet it made it easier to ...go home...though?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tried my ride home last night with one of my El cat eyes rotated (hanging) under my bars and illuminating my jacket (chest).
3. At least 5 other riders took a good look (probably nearer 10 but I could put at least a few down to my dashing good looks!)

An thought....WTF has he got his light pointed the wrong way ? Who is this ugly mug ? :tongue:

Davidc

Guru
During the summer I saw a cyclist wearing a Keith Moon style skeleton suit, matt black with the bones in reflective material. He was out on unlit roads on Exmoor, and I was in the car. His bike lights were pathetic but the suit certainly showed up and looked crazy! No one could have missed seeing him.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I've just bought a pink reflective waistcoat with flashing LEDs (it's intended for small girls riding ponies :laugh: )

I had more hassle from drivers today than ever before! Probably coincidence, I'll see if it's the same tonight

During the summer I saw a cyclist wearing a Keith Moon style skeleton suit, matt black with the bones in reflective material. He was out on unlit roads on Exmoor, and I was in the car. His bike lights were pathetic but the suit certainly showed up and looked crazy! No one could have missed seeing him.

Foska Bones!

Zippy

I nearly tossed a cyclist over the bonnet of my car recently on a night journey home - no lights, dark clothing, no reflector - at the last moment I saw two tiny spots of yellow going up and down - one up one down and vice versa - I immediately recognised these as his pedal reflectors! had he just been wearing a reflector vest it would have been the difference between life and death had i not been cycle aware.

In the paralell universe in which my fantasy self lives, cars are limited to 40mph and all roads are well lit so cars don't need headlights. the only vehicles with lights are cycles and everyone is nice to cyclists - in fact hardly anyone drives a car these days and those who do not or cannot cycle catch buses where everyone is friendly and they also wash every day.

And yes - that Fursty Ferret is good stuff!

Amoeba

Just get a hi vis vest. There's no need to start arsing about pointing lights at yourself from all points of the compass.

RT, Hi Viz doesn't work at night, because fluorescent colours (typically) absorb UV present in daylight, and this light is re-emitted as visible light. At night there's very little or no UV around and the average headlight doesn't emit UV. So there's effectively no fluorescence. So Hi-Viz at night doesn't really help.

Retroreflective tape is good, especially if it's low down, where dipped headlights will illuminate it. But reflectors rely upon other vehicles using lights and not everyone does.
It's always best not to rely upon someone else doing the right thing, because sometimes they don't. So RVLR compliant bright lights and reflectors are required on the bicycle.

UV LEDs are available, so it would seem possible to self-illuminate a Hi-Viz tabard / jacket using one. Different UV LEDs vary in wavelength etc. So, some research would be needed to avoid potential eye damage and or unnecessary skin exposure.

Of course, the self-illumination lights could be run-off a dynamo. If they are supplied via a sensor controlled headlight, they could switch on automatically.

+1

It's the reflective tape on "HV" vests that is used for night time.

I notice that not a lot of High Visibility tops have a great amount of reflective panels on them... what you really want is something with nice big thick bands on it...

Tall-size-6-oz--100--polyester-5924320.jpg

...and the reason why we don't get that on cycling gear is because its "ugly" imo, so they produce them with just little tabs here or there.

I only really wear HV stuff in bad weather - hence why only my jackets are of that colour.

Top Bottom