Shane Sutton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DogTired

Über Member
*Ahem*

If you look at the top of the bit you've circled in red you'll see that it says '13-17 funding' The document is also entitled 'BRITISH CYCLING - 2013-17 SUMMARY DOCUMENT'.

The £32 million listed is the funding for the four years - not per annum.

British Cycling's summarised accounts are here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/search/article/bcst-British-Cycling-Publications

Whilst the Sport England contribution of £32 million is over 4 years, BC income for 2015 was £26,092,596 and £25,633,848 for 2014.

DogTired

Über Member
Just so we are clear what Kennaugh said - this is from Cyclingnews.com -

'In an interview with Guardian Sport earlier this week, Pooley asked why British Cycling and Team Sky didn’t sponsor a women’s team. “Why wasn’t there a similar plan for the women? The women’s Giro d’Italia was the most important race for women but where was the funding for that? I came second twice and no one from British Cycling offered to put together a team to help me win it.”

Kennaugh, 26, replied to her questions on Twitter saying,“Emma pooley why would sky put money into the women’s giro that absolutely no one in the uk has absolutely no idea about”, followed one minute later by “Stop being so self centered and get over it.”'

Emma Pooley is one of the most successful British cyclists of recent years, despite her lack of support, and also one of the most intelligent and articulate. Kennaugh is a talented and hard-working rider, but it's bizarre that someone so many years Pooley's junior without anything like her record of success, would feel that he had the right to patronise and insult her in this way. It says a great deal about the sexist culture in cycling.

Its an intelligent thing to do to separate what is sexism and what is economics. Its a fair point to make regarding Sky; why would a commercial organisation put money into something that has little public following and so can't get a return on its investment.

There are lots and lots of hard-working and talented people, of both genders, doing lots of admirable things in the world. But if you want investment in what you're doing then you have to make a case as to why you should get that investment.

pawl

Legendary Member
I believe it to be a mix of sour grapes and truth. The number of headstrong and driven people in the same system is bound to cause conflict. The world of professional sport is an incredibly hard one, hero to zero in the blink of an eye. Ultimately Sutton has been a key part of a very successful system, is that because of his alleged behaviour or in spite of it and if it was because of it, does that make it acceptable? I would prefer to see this handled outside of the media spotlight as I think it can only cause damage to the team. Maybe Jess and others raised concerns at BC and they were ignored so they felt they had to go to the media, if so double shame on BC.

An interview with Rob Hales on bbc radio "Shane is a great coach but does not in his opinion a manager of people".

The way that Victoria Pendelton relationship with her coach was indicative of the attitude prevalent at BC.

Relationships in what is fairly tight community are in some instances inevitable. There are many good coaches within BC but are not very adept at personal management.
If I remember correctly Steve Peters was the the man who dealt with the psychological well being of the team.Perhaps the time to bring back into the fold.I understand that he is involved with a football club.[/QUOTE]

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
*Ahem*

If you look at the top of the bit you've circled in red you'll see that it says '13-17 funding' The document is also entitled 'BRITISH CYCLING - 2013-17 SUMMARY DOCUMENT'.

The £32 million listed is the funding for the four years - not per annum.
I'm sorry, Reg, it is with great regret that I have to ask you to go back and check my post and you will see that I was referring to oldroadman's claim that BC received ~60% of £30 million (about £18 million) in four years - not per annum. I was pointing out that they will receive at least £32 million in that time. My point was that if he is going to tell us to check our facts before posting, then he should be a bit more careful about checking his facts before posting! :okay:

This comment seems to sum up the thread. One question from an interested observer - how do any of the posters know this to be the case? Should people now simply zip it up and wait for the outcome of the independent investigation?
One more point - do BC REALLY get £30 million a year? I did a bit of research and digging, it appears that they had received about 60% of that in FOUR YEARS (An Olympic period). Let's please check assertions before involving fingers on keyboards. Makes discussion so more interesting and credible!
Off for a little potter in the cold but sunny day now.....:smile:

I thought we were talking about Shane not Marmion .
Shut it you old git

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
It's an incredibly white sport. The only black cyclists I;ve heard of are Daniel Teklehaimanot (sp?) and Traffic Droid.

I spent ages trying to work out which pro cyclist was nicknamed Traffic Droid, then realised you meant Traffic Droid.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
... leaving Sutton bullying people and making small decisions in his tracksuit in the background.

Well, no. Bullying is never, acceptable whatever the situation. Tough decisions have to made, yes. Sometimes people might have to be told what's what, yes. That should never, ever justify bullying in any form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, no. Bullying is never, acceptable whatever the situation. Tough decisions have to made, yes. Sometimes people might have to be told what's what, yes. That should never, ever justify bullying in any form.
Yes, that's true. I didn't mean to imply that it was.

But if BC wanted to maintain their their good PR, and avoid media poo-storms, then they were a bit stupid in promoting SS. And culpable in (seemingly) turning a blind eye to his bullying.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Just so we are clear what Kennaugh said - this is from Cyclingnews.com -

'In an interview with Guardian Sport earlier this week, Pooley asked why British Cycling and Team Sky didn’t sponsor a women’s team. “Why wasn’t there a similar plan for the women? The women’s Giro d’Italia was the most important race for women but where was the funding for that? I came second twice and no one from British Cycling offered to put together a team to help me win it.”...

Its a fair point to make regarding Sky; why would a commercial organisation put money into something that has little public following and so can't get a return on its investment ... if you want investment in what you're doing then you have to make a case as to why you should get that investment.

You'd perhaps like to think that in that situation you would have seen the opportunity to generate big headlines for a (still relatively obscure) sport and advance the cause of women's cycling (and cycling in general) and bring it up to the profile of men's cycling. The time was right, after all.

Top Bottom