Shipping Forecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I love the Shipping Forecast. Not just the short one, of the sea areas, but the full blown one with the weather stations, and the inshore waters.

Poetry that's hard to beat - "Cape Wrath to Duncansby Head, incuding Orkney", is a favourite, or "Lough Foyle to Carlingford Lough" or "Sandette Light Vessel Automatic"... On the occasions I'm awake, I lie there in bed, and imagine a map of the UK, and tick them all off... I even have a pretty good idea what it all means...

Anyone else hear it frequently?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch said:
Anyone else hear it frequently?

Frequency? Oh, sorry!

Yes I do like the rythmic incantation of it. Tyne, Dogger, Wear....

Mind you, it used to irritate me when R4 long wave used to go over to it and interrupt the ball-by-ball cricket commentary!

JamesAC

Yes. Isn't is desperate. It means that you're awake with nothing better to do either very late at night, or very early in the morning.

Wouldn't it be great to know what they're actually talking about? :smile:

You can read the Shipping Forecast on the BBC Weather Site here

ChrisKH

Guru
I find the shipping forecast very soothing last thing at night. For me it means everything is right with the world even though the weather may be bad (if that makes sense).

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
Frequency? Oh, sorry!

Yes I do like the rythmic incantation of it. Tyne, Dogger, Wear....

There is no Wear!

JamesAC said:
Wouldn't it be great to know what they're actually talking about?

I'm afraid I do, pretty much.... I can't remember the exact definitions of poor, moderate and good, but it's all to do with how far you can see.

Top Bottom