Shipping Forecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
snorri said:
If you really understand it you should be able to draw all the isobars and arrows on a blank map of the UK and get a map just like the one on the TV forecast.;)

My degree was a long time ago ...:smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bonj said:
Well it sounds like the most incomprehensible stream of absolute gibberish I've ever heard! I was once listening to radio 4 in the garage when it came on and my brain hurt it was such bollocks, I had to go and turn over to radio 2!
This is because you are a Bear of little brain...
It's like mudguards you see...:smile:

peanut

when I was a callous yoof in East London in the 50's I used to lie awake at night listening to the boats traveling along the Thames in thick pea-soopers with their fog horns blasting out into the night. You could hear them for miles. Very eerie mournful sound at night in fog, bit like whales singing.

Later I made crystal sets and listened all night to shipping forecasts and airport to plane communications . There is a mysterious world out their at night time we day-timers are unaware of

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Well it sounds like the most incomprehensible stream of absolute gibberish I've ever heard!

Have you never read one of your own posts then?;)

It's just a message codified to fit max info in to minimum words. Once you have the key, it's perfectly sensible.

Tucked up safe in bed, I like it when you get "Violent Storm 11", which is not all that common. Annoyingly, coming back from France I didn't have access to it, and it would have been interesting, since I reckon we were at least force 6 or 7 at Le Havre, and the ride back was like a gentle rollercoaster the whole way...

bonj2

At the end of the day I think there's only so much use for information that's purely about what's going on at sea. Even for ships.

GilesM

Legendary Member
bonj said:
At the end of the day I think there's only so much use for information that's purely about what's going on at sea. Even for ships.

Why just consider the sea, For example there's only so much use for information that's purely about what's going on in France. Even for the French.

I always remember the shipping forecast as a kid, it used to confuse the hell out of me, "Rain, Good" just didn't seem right.

bonj2

GilesM said:
Why just consider the sea, For example there's only so much use for information that's purely about what's going on in France. Even for the French.

I always remember the shipping forecast as a kid, it used to confuse the hell out of me, "Rain, Good" just didn't seem right.

No, but most weather - with the exception of possibly a really really violent storm, which as Arch says is very rare, isn't going to be much of a problem to your modern common or garden propellor-driven container ship. It's going to forge ahead anyway whatever the weather.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
No, but most weather - with the exception of possibly a really really violent storm, which as Arch says is very rare, isn't going to be much of a problem to your modern common or garden propellor-driven container ship. It's going to forge ahead anyway whatever the weather.

But the shipping forecast is available to all sailors - not all vessels out there are container ships. That's like saying pedestrian crossing are pointless because they aren't used by lorries.

If you only have a small yacht or cruiser, you want to know whether it's sensible to go out or not.

And even the captain of a big ship probably likes to have some idea what's likely to happen.

And I didn't say 'very very rare', I said 'not all that common', which is not the same.

ChrisKH

Guru
peanut said:
when I was a callous yoof in East London in the 50's I used to lie awake at night listening to the boats traveling along the Thames in thick pea-soopers with their fog horns blasting out into the night. You could hear them for miles. Very eerie mournful sound at night in fog, bit like whales singing.

Later I made crystal sets and listened all night to shipping forecasts and airport to plane communications . There is a mysterious world out their at night time we day-timers are unaware of

Dunno about 50's, I was listening to boats up and down the Thames in the 60's and early 70's as well. Not many Pea-soupers these days - there did seem to be more fog then didn't there?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Dunno about 50's, I was listening to boats up and down the Thames in the 60's and early 70's as well. Not many Pea-soupers these days - there did seem to be more fog then didn't there?

I think the clean air act was in the 50's, wasn't it, and that apparently had a big and fairly rapid effect on smog. I suppose the effect was still improving for some time though, and as more and more people got central heating and moved away from coal or even smokeless fuel, maybe that helped....

Top Bottom