Shipping Forecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

quick bullet pointed summary, if you will.

In order to unleash a sentence of original thought on whatever dire matter it is.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
quick bullet pointed summary, if you will.

In order to unleash a sentence of original thought on whatever dire matter it is.

*Arch claims to 'like the shipping forecast', even though she hasn't got a clue what it means
*I denounce shipping forecast as *largely* useless, but not entirely, which is why it makes no sense
*Lots of people pile in trying to suggest valid uses for it
*I try to reemphasise that i was not claiming it to be *completely* useless but a fringe service used by a tiny minority of weirdy beardy sailors and shipmen
*Pissing contest about who's better at driving boats, me or the rest i.e. those who think the shipping forecast isn't pointless
*Claims of navigating a boat solely using the shipping forecast are shot down in flames
* More reiterations of possible uses of the shipping forecast
e.g.
classic33 said:
Where does the boat used by Ben Fogle & James Cracknell come into your scheme of things. So far you've avoided answering it, why?

presumably they used the shipping forecast, the implication presumably being that therefore it's useful to absolutely everyone in their daily lives and we could never live without it.

* No-one successfully proves any understanding of the shipping forecast, even though we have people other than me who claim they "know about boats".

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
I did. Back on page two, I think. Or possibly three. It's easy enough to those of a logical turn of mind.

What's the wind direction going to be in the mid north atlantic on thursday then? quick so you don't look it up...

Abitrary

bonj said:
*Arch claims to 'like the shipping forecast', even though she hasn't got a clue what it means

This is a about the 3rd time that arch comes up in your first bullet point these days.

I'm quite clever about women, and I reckon you've got a humongous crush on arch.

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
No idea, I haven't listened to the shipping forecast for ages. Just because I understand how it works doesn't mean I carry around details of the week's shipping area weather in my head.:tongue:

What you haven't listened to it, no, but you've probably heard it. It just didn't sink in. Because it never does.

No, I haven't heard it. The only time I used to listen to it was at 5.30 in the morning when I was on the early shift, and I haven't been out at that time for months.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:

I know exactly what the shipping forecast means. Why don't you shut the hole you're using erroneously as a mouth, and bog off?

Arbitrary, please don't. I have enough trouble sleeping sometimes without nightmares like that.

classic33

Leg End Member
QUOTE=bonj;646961]don't really argue with that, apart from the fact it's largely meaningless, and doesn't really make sense: "the same" radio stations - the same ones as what?

the shipping forecast will only tell you whether or not you're likely to be blown 100metres off course, the simple solution is just to not sail within 100m of dogger's bank...:sad:
you don't tend to get that problem on land since you don't have the problem of getting blown off course, largely due to your friction with the ground ...:sad:

I haven't really got much idea what you mean by "where does it fit into the scheme of things", but i'll try to answer what i think you mean, which is does it rely the shipping forecast - probably yes, but i'm not sure what that proves. It doesn't make the shipping forecast useful in a mainstream way.[/QUOTE]

See
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=30425&highlight=wind
also
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html which gives the area covered in the shipping forecasts.
Note that "Mid Atlantic" isn't covered. And would that be mid North Atlantic or mid South Atlantic?

For back on dry land are you trying to say that a side wind has never caught you out, by blowing you off course. Most would correct for it, if they were able. The same would apply to any waterbourne craft. They would also make allowances for the weather. Don't you do that on dry land, before venturing out.

As for the same radio stations(Radio 4, RTE Radio 1) both give shipping forecasts & traffic forecasts/reports

Ben Fogle & Jim Cracknell rowed accross the Atlantic. No sail, no inboard or outboard motor. How does their craft fit into your definition of shipping, given you posted a picture of a small sailboat. Which you said wasn't shipping.

Are you sure what your not talking about?

bonj2

User3094 said:
Whats the traffic like on the M80 in Scotland? Quick, so you dont look it up....

User3094 said:
oh what a surprise. he doesn't know. His silence speaks volumes!

What does that even mean? You're reciprocating arguments when that reciprocation has no sense even it were correct, which it isn't. When have I made any particular claim that traffic reports are very useful?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
bonj said:
What you haven't listened to it, no, but you've probably heard it. It just didn't sink in. Because it never does.

No, the idea is that you do not sink in, you stay afloat.

Not listening to the Shipping Forecast might mean you would sink.

I agree that the concept of it being a Shipping Forecast is difficult for you to grasp Bonj. Think of it instead as a "Forecast for Ships" or a "Weather Forecast for those at Sea", perhaps that will help your brain absorb the complexities of the information.

Top Bottom