Shipping Forecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Bonj where does this fit in to scheme of things then?
http://www.benfogle.com/gallery/rowing_2006_011

No engine or sails but still crossed the Atlantic!

The shipping forecast is split into two main parts, coastal waters upto five miles & the area forecasts. Less of a distinction made between the actual size of the vessel, hence shipping forecast, but split.
I assume that you wouldn't venture out if you saw high waves breaking on the shore & noticed the wind picking up

Have you thought about reading the Seaway Code!!
https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1161341&ProductID=0117025356&Action=Book

See http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
well I have driven countless boats. And gliders don't have engines, so they can't be that hard to "pilot"! (if 'piloting' a glider is the right word...'hanging from' i would have thought more descriptive...)

Ok. So we send bonj up in a glider, solo, with no instruction, and see how he manages... Please, can we? Can we? Preferably a winch launch, so he's not up so high, and has less time to work it all out before it becomes critical that he does so.

Chuffy, yes, I am rather English, I suppose. I blame it on being a Saxon-Norman cross, and on my mother being more like the Queen than the Queen is sometimes (only probably with a better grasp of housework).

bonj2

Arch said:
Ok. So we send bonj up in a glider, solo, with no instruction, and see how he manages... Please, can we? Can we? Preferably a winch launch, so he's not up so high, and has less time to work it all out before it becomes critical that he does so.

Chuffy, yes, I am rather English, I suppose. I blame it on being a Saxon-Norman cross, and on my mother being more like the Queen than the Queen is sometimes (only probably with a better grasp of housework).

ah, so it can't be that hard to glide then, if you're likely to work it out before you've descended very far!
There is actually a gliding club near me. Never seems to be any gliders up though.

jonesy

Guru
bonj said:
ah, so it can't be that hard to glide then, if you're likely to work it out before you've descended very far!
There is actually a gliding club near me. Never seems to be any gliders up though.

I think you should suggest this to Channel 4: I'm sure they'd be delighted to have a new idea for 'reality' television. :evil: "On tonight's edition of 'Fly or Die', bonj shows us how easy it is to glide without any instructions'" :ohmy:

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Quick summary bonj. You know what to do thanks.

largely,
"shipping forecast doesn't make sense, and is of limited use"
"yeah but yeah but it's used for x y and z"
"they're fringe activities, therefore the shipping forecast carries no mainstream usefulness"
"what do you know"
"i've driven countless boats"
yadda yadda
etc

I can fly one of those glide things, 'cos like I've done it on a microsoft flight simulator.
It's dead easy, well, obviously apart from the first few attempts at landing, till you get the hang of all those dial things, but it's best not to bother with them at all and just look forward all the time. Never got the hang of landing at one of those airport things though, just use any bit of old land you fancy. Or someones back garden

Abitrary

bonj said:
largely,
"shipping forecast doesn't make sense, and is of limited use"
"yeah but yeah but it's used for x y and z"
"they're fringe activities, therefore the shipping forecast carries no mainstream usefulness"
"what do you know"
"i've driven countless boats"
yadda yadda
etc

cheers. I see the shipping forecast like a non-denominational early morning inspirational prayer. An inevitable mantra the lack of which would indicate to me that all was not right in the world.

Abitrary said:
cheers. I see the shipping forecast like a non-denominational early morning inspirational prayer. An inevitable mantra the lack of which would indicate to me that all was not right in the world.
Or that Britain's Trident fleet were about to unleash nooklear deth on Russia.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
bonj said:
well I have driven countless boats. And gliders don't have engines, so they can't be that hard to "pilot"! (if 'piloting' a glider is the right word...'hanging from' i would have thought more descriptive...)

There's a lot of difference between gliders and hang gliders.
And before you ask - yes, I have.
They both tasted kind of like beef.:evil:

peanut

sorry to bring the thread back on topic (bad form I know!:becool:) but I thought that the point of the shipping forcast was because of our UK coastal sandbanks . In a storm it would be easy to get taken off course and founder on one of our 1000 odd sandbanks.

Dogger Lundy Fairisle etc are all sandbanks some of which are only covered by a few feet of water

Most of British Navy was lost off Yarmouth somewhere wasn't it when a storm blew our anchored fleet onto sandbanks way back in ooohh 1600's ?? or was it 1700's?

bonj2

peanut said:
sorry to bring the thread back on topic (bad form I know!:becool:) but I thought that the point of the shipping forcast was because of our UK coastal sandbanks . In a storm it would be easy to get taken off course and founder on one of our 1000 odd sandbanks.

Dogger Lundy Fairisle etc are all sandbanks some of which are only covered by a few feet of water

Most of British Navy was lost off Yarmouth somewhere wasn't it when a storm blew our anchored fleet onto sandbanks way back in ooohh 1600's ?? or was it 1700's?

shouldn't be driving the boat so close to the shore then.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
shouldn't be driving the boat so close to the shore then.

Dogger Bank is 100km offshore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank

And speaking of disasters, the was also the infamous wrecking of several of the fleet off the Scilly Isles, under the command of the fantastically named Sir Cloudesley Shovell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudesley_Shovell

Although that was down to faulty navigation, not bad forecasting.

BTW TheDoctor - "They both tasted kind of like beef": :becool::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Piemaster - I had a house mate who had FlightSim, and proved that you can't land Concorde on Papa Westray without ending up embedding the nose in the ground like an arrow.

Top Bottom