Shipping Forecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
snorri]Most of British Navy was lost off Yarmouth somewhere wasn said:
anchored[/B'] fleet onto sandbanks way back in ooohh 1600's ?? or was it 1700's?

bonj said:
shouldn't be driving the boat so close to the shore then.

Ahem.

The Spanish Armada also had some problems with weather as Sir Francis Drake insisted on the shipping forecast being temporarily suspended as someone had been playing it loudly nearby whilst he was having a game of bowls, disturbing his concentration.[/B]

Speicher

Vice Admiral
peanut said:
Most of British Navy was lost off Yarmouth somewhere wasn't it when a storm blew our anchored fleet onto sandbanks way back in ooohh 1600's ?? or was it 1700's?

rich p said:
I think it was just after half past four:wacko:

:sad::rofl:

bonj2

Arch said:
Dogger Bank is 100km offshore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank

And speaking of disasters, the was also the infamous wrecking of several of the fleet off the Scilly Isles, under the command of the fantastically named Sir Cloudesley Shovell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudesley_Shovell

Although that was down to faulty navigation, not bad forecasting.

BTW TheDoctor - "They both tasted kind of like beef": :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Piemaster - I had a house mate who had FlightSim, and proved that you can't land Concorde on Papa Westray without ending up embedding the nose in the ground like an arrow.

so how is the shipping forecast going to tell you how close to dogger's bank you are?

bonj2

Piemaster said:
Ahem.

The Spanish Armada also had some problems with weather as Sir Francis Drake insisted on the shipping forecast being temporarily suspended as someone had been playing it loudly nearby whilst he was having a game of bowls, disturbing his concentration.

They might also have been playing it too loudly and distracted his concentration while he was steering the ship, leading it to crash.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
so how is the shipping forecast going to tell you how close to dogger's bank you are?

It doesn't, but it might help you work out how likely you are to be blown off course if you're in the vicinity.

Anyway, all this guff of yours about the forecast being pointless has very little to do with my OP, which was all about the poetry of it.... Obviously, it's not of much help to me, tucked up in bed miles from the coast, except as a calming piece of prose...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
They might also have been playing it too loudly and distracted his concentration while he was steering the ship, leading it to crash.

Absolutely. The volume on some of those Elizabethan radios went up to 11.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch said:
Absolutely. The volume on some of those Elizabethan radios went up to 11.

Shakespeare himself got a lot of inspiration from the shipping forecast apparently.......

There is a tide in the affairs of man....

Et tu Biscay.....

Is this a dogger which I see before me.....

:biggrin::wacko:

and some about Bonj too...

What's here? the portrait of a blinking idiot...

That way madness lies....

:biggrin:

bonj2

Arch said:
It doesn't, but it might help you work out how likely you are to be blown off course if you're in the vicinity.
well if you're in the vicinity, youmight aswell just steer round it anyway, instead of going near it but then steering away if the shipping forecast warns that you might get blown into it.
Arch said:
Anyway, all this guff of yours about the forecast being pointless has very little to do with my OP, which was all about the poetry of it.... Obviously, it's not of much help to me, tucked up in bed miles from the coast, except as a calming piece of prose...

you've just contradicted yourself. make your mind up, is it poetry or prose? :biggrin:
Actually, i'll tell you the answer: you've come to the conclusion that it's poetry, because it definitely ISN'T prose. but there's a third category: speech can be split up not just into poetry and prose, but into poetry, prose, or ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS. The shipping forecast falls into this 3rd category.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
you've just contradicted yourself. make your mind up, is it poetry or prose? :smile:
Actually, i'll tell you the answer: you've come to the conclusion that it's poetry, because it definitely ISN'T prose. but there's a third category: speech can be split up not just into poetry and prose, but into poetry, prose, or ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS. The shipping forecast falls into this 3rd category.

It's written as prose, but has a poetic quality. I guarantee that all the other grownups on this thread knew what I meant.

I think you'll find "ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS" is the stuff you type...

bonj2

User3094 said:
If you fancy it, you can come with me one weekened, and I'll prove to you how ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS will keep you alive?

What becasue i'll be driving the boat 'cos you wont' know how ;) very funny

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
bonj said:
you've just contradicted yourself. make your mind up, is it poetry or prose? ;)

Arch said:
It's written as prose, but has a poetic quality. I guarantee that all the other grownups on this thread knew what I meant.

I think you'll find "ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS" is the stuff you type...

Fixed that for you...

classic33

Leg End Member
Bonj
You can pilot a boat, range in size from a semi rigid hull upto a super tanker. You can also pilot a plane.

Come back onto dry land & the same radio stations give traffic reports. They don't split the traffic into size. The same with the shipping forecast. Both can give you the chance to avoid something that may affect your journey.
As regards your comment "so how is the shipping forecast going to tell you how close to dogger's bank you are?" If you don't know where you are then your already in trouble. Do you apply the same logic on dry land?

Where does the boat used by Ben Fogle & James Cracknell come into your scheme of things. So far you've avoided answering it, why?

bonj2

classic33 said:
Bonj
You can pilot a boat, range in size from a semi rigid hull upto a super tanker. You can also pilot a plane.

Come back onto dry land & the same radio stations give traffic reports. They don't split the traffic into size. The same with the shipping forecast. Both can give you the chance to avoid something that may affect your journey.
don't really argue with that, apart from the fact it's largely meaningless, and doesn't really make sense: "the same" radio stations - the same ones as what?
classic33 said:
As regards your comment "so how is the shipping forecast going to tell you how close to dogger's bank you are?" If you don't know where you are then your already in trouble. Do you apply the same logic on dry land?
the shipping forecast will only tell you whether or not you're likely to be blown 100metres off course, the simple solution is just to not sail within 100m of dogger's bank...:rolleyes:
you don't tend to get that problem on land since you don't have the problem of getting blown off course, largely due to your friction with the ground ...:wacko:
classic33 said:
Where does the boat used by Ben Fogle & James Cracknell come into your scheme of things. So far you've avoided answering it, why?
I haven't really got much idea what you mean by "where does it fit into the scheme of things", but i'll try to answer what i think you mean, which is does it rely the shipping forecast - probably yes, but i'm not sure what that proves. It doesn't make the shipping forecast useful in a mainstream way.

Top Bottom