Should I get some euros before the referendum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the country decides to vote to leave the EU is the pound likely to suddenly drop significantly against the euro? Just wondering if I should change the money for our summer tour before the referendum just in case, I'm assuming the pound is unlikely to strengthen much either way it goes?

PaulB

Legendary Member
No. There is virtually no chance of this country voting out of the EU. Not now the full economic realities of a 'brexit' are known.

You need to work out if you'd get a better return by just placing a bet with a bookies. If we vote to remain, the euro rate will probably rise and you'll lose out.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No. There is virtually no chance of this country voting out of the EU. Not now the full economic realities of a 'brexit' are known.

"Economic realities" set out by who? Oh you mean Cameron and Osborne yesterday.:rolleyes:

ArKYFuKCAAAhFvd.png

cadbd50311e2d228ea620289804298ae.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If the country decides to vote to leave the EU is the pound likely to suddenly drop significantly against the euro? Just wondering if I should change the money for our summer tour before the referendum just in case, I'm assuming the pound is unlikely to strengthen much either way it goes?

Got a nice anecdote from a guy who started off working in banking (ie "in the city). As the graduate trainee, the boss said to him, "well, what do you think the franc is going to do in the next few weeks?". So, super keen having been given this important assignment, he did some research and wrote a paper comparing the prospects depending on what the dollar was doing and whether Giscard won the election and so on, and duly handed it to the boss. "my dear boy, I only wanted to know whether to hang on before changing my holiday money!"

There was a moral to the story - find out what the brief is before doing a load of work !

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There might have been other independent analysis that Paul was referring to. Bank of England, IMF, OECD, for example.

I, for one, wouldn't want to live in a little Englander state run by right wing Tories (out for themselves and sod the vulnerable) should we vote to leave and have a Boris/Gove/Fox/Lawson take-over. I will be applying for Scottish citizenship and go and live next door to @Marmion.

Mass immigration forced on us by the EU will affect the vulnerable.They only flick so many crumbs down from the table for us to fight over. When those 12 million Turks come over to join the benefits gravy train do you think more crumbs will be flicked down, or will they tell us to fight with those Turks for the same amount of crumbs?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They - who are this nefarious 'they'?

Are you referring to the organisation that we elect members to or the one that our Prime Minister sits in? Both of them are 'us' ;)

Reactions: srw
Top Bottom